It is critical for preparers of financial statements and auditors to understand the complexities of the health care industry including revenue recognition methods for medical malpractice claims, patient receivables, and revenue recognition; the reporting entity and related entities; and financial reporting and accounting for managed care services and continuing care retirement communities. AICPA publications provide information on recent developments, guidance, practice aids, and illustrative examples for the common accounting and audit practices in the health care industry including
- fair value measurements and disclosures for nongovernmental health care entities.
- derivative instruments commonly used by the health care industry.
- continuing care retirement community advanced fees.
- municipal bonds issued on behalf of not-for-profit health care entities.
- contributions received and made.
- key issues from the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 and the Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), including accountable care organizations.
- ICD-10 conversions.
- electronic health records (EHRs) and accounting for Medicaid EHR incentive payments.
Find comprehensive examples of
- financial accounting and reporting by continuing care retirement communities.
- financial statements, notes, and supplementary schedules.
For more information on the industry and the AICPA's commitment to provide updates and guidance, visit the Health Care Entities Expert Panel webpage.
The following products are available from the AICPA to help provide guidance and resources on the health care industry.
AICPA Online Professional Library
When you subscribe to any one of the many subscription options on AICPA Online Professional Library, you're not only getting access to the most up-to-date guidance and tools, you are also linked to all of the relevant and related literature, including the FASB and GASB libraries.
Many publications and libraries may be of value to those interested in guidance related to health care entities:
- AICPA Audit and Accounting Manual
- AICPA Audit Risk Assessment Tool and Guide
- AICPA Practice Tool The Auditor's Report: Comprehensive Guidance and Examples
- AICPA Professional Standards
- AICPA Technical Questions and Answers
- U.S. GAAP Financial Statements—Best Practices in Presentation and Disclosure
- Audit and Accounting Guide Set with FASB Accounting Standards Codification
- Essential A&A Research Collection
- Premium A&A Research Collection