As a financial statement preparer or auditor, it is essential to understand the unique operational, accounting, reporting, and auditing aspects of construction contractors and related companies. AICPA guidance provides background on the industry as well as interpretive information for both new and existing rules. AICPA publications provide information on recent developments, guidance, practice aids, and illustrative examples for the common accounting and audit practices in the construction industry, including
- measuring extent of progress on construction contracts.
- accounting for contract costs and overhead.
- accounting for and reporting investments in joint ventures.
- auditing estimates surrounding revenue and cost recognition methods.
The following products are available from the AICPA to help provide guidance and resources for construction entities.
AICPA Online Professional Library
When you subscribe to any one of the many subscription options on AICPA Online Professional Library, you're not only getting access to the most up-to-date guidance and tools, you are also linked to all of the relevant and related literature, including the FASB and GASB libraries.
Many publications and libraries may be of value to those interested in guidance related to construction contractors:
- AICPA Audit and Accounting Manual
- AICPA Audit Risk Assessment Tool and Guide
- AICPA Practice Tool The Auditor's Report: Comprehensive Guidance and Examples
- AICPA Professional Standards
- AICPA Technical Questions and Answers
- U.S. GAAP Financial Statements—Best Practices in Presentation and Disclosure
- Audit and Accounting Guide Set with FASB Accounting Standards Codification
- Essential A&A Research Collection
- Premium A&A Research Collection