LAS VEGAS (June 13, 2018) – The American Institute of CPAs and CPA Practice Advisor today recognized 25 leaders in the accounting profession with the 2018 Most Powerful Women in Accounting Award.
Award recipients come from a wide cross-section of the profession, and perform a broad range of roles, from executives with Big Four firms and Fortune 500 companies to small firm owners and consultants. The awards, now in their seventh year, were created by CPA Practice Advisor and – starting this year – are jointly administered by the AICPA.
“This year’s group of award winners exemplifies the aspects of leadership, skill, and mentorship that make them stand-outs in their roles,” said Gail Perry, editor-in-chief of CPA Practice Advisor. “Our profession is better because of their active participation in making this a better place for everyone.”
The AICPA became involved with the awards as part of the institute’s efforts to promote and support the success of women for the broader purpose of sustaining the profession.
“We couldn’t be prouder of this group of award winners and their contributions to the profession,” said Jacquelyn H. Tracy, CPA, CGMA, chair of the AICPA Women’s Initiatives Executive Committee (WIEC). “Collectively, they show there are many paths women can take to make an impact and wield influence.”
The WIEC sponsors research, the Women to Watch awards, mentorships, networking opportunities, and oversees the annual AICPA Women’s Global Leadership Summit.
A group of 13 judges selected the award recipients, using the following criteria:
- Demonstrates she is a driving force in creating a culture of innovation or excellence within her organization or helped, as a vendor, to develop technologies that empower firms to be more productive and profitable
- Has reached a level of management and ownership within her company, with demonstrable impact on its success
- Actively mentors those following in her footsteps
The 2018 winners are:
- Karen Abramson, CEO, Wolters Kluwer Tax and Accounting
- Danielle Supkis Cheek, director of entrepreneurial advisory services, PKF Texas
- Susan Coffey, executive vice president of public practice, Association of International Certified Professional Accountants
- Lynne Doughtie, U.S. chairman and CEO, KPMG
- Abby F. Dupree, managing partner, Carroll & Company, CPAs.
- Jennifer Elder, owner, The Sustainable CFO
- Sarah Elliott, principal and co-founder, Intend2Lead, LLC
- Kimberly Ellison-Taylor, global strategy leader for the financial services industry, Oracle America, and immediate past chairman of the AICPA
- Cathy Engelbert, CEO of Deloitte US
- Julie H. Gustavsson, partner and chief operating officer, Keiter
- DeAnn Hill, owner, DeAnn Auman Hill, CPA
- Jenni Huotari, partner and director of business outsourcing and strategy, Eide Bailly
- Kacee Johnson, strategic advisor, CPA.com, and founder, Blue Ocean Principles
- Elizabeth Pittelkow Kittner, controller, Litera Microsystems
- Tamera Loerzel, partner, ConvergenceCoaching, LLC
- Samantha Mansfield, director of professional development and community, CPA.com
- Gail Perry, editor-in-chief, CPA Practice Advisor
- Amy Pitter, president and CEO, Massachusetts Society of CPAs
- Natasha Schamberger, president and CEO, Kansas Society of CPAs
- Lindsay Stevenson, vice president of finance and tax, 1st Financial Bank USA
- Amy Vetter, president and CEO, QuickStart Training Inc.
- Jennifer Warawa, executive vice president of partners, accountants and alliances, Sage
- Katherine G. Watts, partner in charge, Horne LLP
- Sandra Wiley, president, Boomer Consulting, Inc.
- Jennifer Wilson, co-founder and partner, ConvergenceCoaching, LLC
Award winners were announced at AICPA ENGAGE and those attending the event will be honored at a 6 p.m. PDT reception tonight in the Networking Hub, which is sponsored by WIEC. The honorees also will be featured in this month’s edition of CPA Practice Advisor.
About CPA Practice Advisor
CPA Practice Advisor is the voice of accounting technology in the media space. With monthly software reviews, the latest technology updates, and news and tips to enhance the CPA practice, the magazine and its accompanying website keep accounting professionals on the cutting edge of their profession. In addition to the Most Powerful Women in Accounting awards, CPA Practice Advisor names the annual 40 Under 40 in the Accounting Profession award recipients, presents the coveted Software Innovation Awards and Readers’ Choice Awards, and hosts the Thought Leader Symposium, an annual think tank meeting of some of the greatest minds in the accounting profession.
About the American Institute of CPAs
The American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) is the world’s largest member association representing the CPA profession, with more than 431,000 members in 137 countries and territories, and a history of serving the public interest since 1887. AICPA members represent many areas of practice, including business and industry, public practice, government, education and consulting. The AICPA sets ethical standards for its members and U.S. auditing standards for private companies, nonprofit organizations, federal, state and local governments. It develops and grades the Uniform CPA Examination, offers specialized credentials, builds the pipeline of future talent and drives professional competency development to advance the vitality, relevance and quality of the profession.
The AICPA maintains offices in New York, Washington, DC, Durham, NC, and Ewing, NJ.
Media representatives are invited to visit the AICPA Press Center at www.aicpa.org/press.
About the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants
The Association of International Certified Professional Accountants (the Association) is the most influential body of professional accountants, combining the strengths of the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) and The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) to power opportunity, trust and prosperity for people, businesses and economies worldwide. It represents 667,000 members and students across 184 counties and territories in public and management accounting and advocates for the public interest and business sustainability on current and emerging issues. With broad reach, rigor and resources, the Association advances the reputation, employability and quality of CPAs, CGMAs and accounting and finance professionals globally.