Effective January 1, 2017, the AICPA’s National Accreditation Commission (NAC) approved updated professional education requirements for the ABV, CFF, CITP and PFS credentials and expanded learning options available for members to earn the necessary credits, now referred to as Continuing Professional Development (CPD). Traditional CPE is still acceptable and just one option under CPD.
Attestation to recertify: Each year when you pay your annual credential dues, you are attesting to meeting certain requirements and are subject to potential audit by the AICPA. To learn more about recertification attestation, please access credential specifics at the links below:
- ABV - ABV credential recertification
- CFF - CFF credential recertification
- CITP - CITP credential recertification
- PFS - PFS credential recertification
Documentation: For your convenience, you have access to the “My Learning” section on the AICPA’s Competency and Learning website (CandL) to record your learning (whether CPE, other structured learning, or unstructured learning) as it happens. If you are audited, you will be required to submit this learning record for documentation. To access your learning record:
- Go to competency.aicpa.org and log in with your AICPA username and password.
- Click on your name in the upper right of the screen and select My Learning from the drop-down list.
- Click Report more learning for a pop-up window to record any of your CPD.
- New to CandL? Please see the tutorial resource listed below.
Why the changes? These changes reflect best practice in education and evolution in the ways professionals develop their skills. They also align with the AICPA’s commitment to help CPAs maintain relevancy in a rapidly evolving marketplace and provide more flexibility in recognition of the multitude of ways that professionals develop competencies, while continuing to help members deliver the highest quality in professional services.
For your convenience, we have provided the following resources to answer any questions:
- a list of frequently asked questions
- a glossary of CPD-related terms
- the archive of the January 2017 webcast
- downloadable PDF of the slide presentation
- a tutorial for logging CPD on the AICPA’s Competency and Learning website
If you have any questions, please contact AICPA Member Service at 1.888.777.7077.