Become a CGMA Designation Holder
The Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA) designation tells the world you’re a trusted, expert strategist connecting all aspects of business. Backed by a powerful array of benefits, you can stay connected to the pulse of your profession, become a knowledge leader and show the world you mean business.
The value of becoming a CGMA
The CGMA designation is the premier management accounting credential — distinguishing accounting professionals who have advanced proficiency in finance, operations, strategy and management. The designation is underpinned by extensive global research to ensure that designation holders maintain the highest relevance with employers, and continue to develop competencies most in demand.
The designation can:
- help you build on financial accounting
- develop your understanding of how the different parts of a business come together
- demonstrate your ability to look outside an organization and to the future of finance
- illustrate your ability to manage performance, challenge constructively and provide objective views
More than 150,000 accounting and finance professionals hold the CGMA, making it the most widely held management accounting designation in the world.
What CGMA designation holders are saying
Request more information
Take the next step to earning the CGMA designation by completing our form.
CGMA Testimonial - Jessica Glanney
The first AICPA member to pass the CGMA exam, Jessica Glenney, CPA, CGMA, discusses the valuable experience of taking on the CGMA program, and what earning the designation meant to her and her employer.More on AICPA TV
Ready to become a CGMA?
Get started and join the CGMA finance leadership program today.
To become a CGMA designation holder you need to complete the CGMA Finance Leadership Program and pass the exam.
The CGMA Finance Leadership Program
To earn the CGMA designation, you need to master the technical finance and accounting skills, understand advanced business concepts and demonstrate strategic leadership abilities. The CGMA Finance Leadership Program was created to help you develop competencies in these areas and ultimately, and become a better business leader.
The CGMA program:
- adjusts to you —- learn at your own pace and build upon your knowledge and experience
- provides complementary skills and tools you can use immediately
- will prepare you for the case study exam —- and any future business challenge you’ll face — with the skills, the experience and the confidence you need
- helps you develop/sharpen competencies that are most sought out by businesses
Each level of the CGMA program culminates with a case study exam, a unique assessment designed to test your mastery of the critical competencies. The exam will challenge you to apply all your knowledge and skills to deliver insights and make decisions in a real-world business situation.
The exams are administered at testing centers all over the world, establishing a global standard of excellence for all CGMA designation holders.
Preview a day in the life of a CGMA
Experience the unique format of the exam, and live a day in the life of a CGMA designation holder before you register. “CGMA For a Day” is an immersive, interactive tool that puts you in the management accounting hot seat and provides a high-level feel for the format of the CGMA exam. This simulation allows you to become familiar with the tasks within the exam and complete them in about 30 minutes.
Obtaining the designation
To qualify for the CGMA designation through the AICPA, you must:
- be an AICPA member in good standing
- pass the CGMA exam
- have a minimum of 3 years of relevant, work-based, practical management accounting experience
Eligible AICPA members must attest that they meet the experience requirements when applying to obtain the CGMA designation.
CGMA Associate Membership
Qualified accounting professionals accepted into the CGMA Financial Leadership Program are also granted this special classification of AICPA membership. Candidates actively enrolled in the CGMA program, as well as those who have obtained the CGMA designation via this pathway, must remain a CGMA Associate member to keep their CGMA designation active.
To obtain the CGMA you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Be accepted into the CGMA program — as a program candidate you agree to all membership criteria, defined by the AICPA, needed to enter the CGMA program, and will begin work toward earning the CGMA designation. The AICPA will approve these applications on a case-by-case basis.
- Complete all required CGMA program learning, assessments and case study exams —– you must complete all required learning and assessments, and pass all required CGMA case study exams, culminating in the Strategic Case Study Exam. In addition, you need to submit the required Professional Experience Requirements (PER) verification.
- Maintain CGMA Associate Membership — After earning the CGMA designation, CGMA Associate Members are required to complete applicable continuing professional development (CPD) courses to remain current with CGMA competencies.
- Professional Conduct —– You must agree to abide by the AICPA Bylaws and Code of Professional Conduct.
Get members-only access to tools and resources needed to further your career as well as discounts on CPE, conferences, insurance and more. See all benefits >
Maintaining the designation
To maintain your CGMA designation, you must remain a member of the AICPA in good standing and pay the annual fee for the designation.
Continuing professional education (CPE) is required for CPAs to maintain their professional competence and provide quality professional services. You are responsible for complying with all applicable CPE requirements, rules and regulations of state boards of accountancy, as well as those of the AICPA.
Continuing membership fees and information can be found on the annual dues page.