Successful tax practitioners are looking for opportunities to be more proactive with their clients' tax situation throughout the year, particularly as new regulations or court rulings can substantially change their tax position at any time.
The resources below will help you stay on top of recent developments, and create strategies to assist clients in minimizing their tax liability year round.
Visit often to stay informed and increase your value to clients.
Join the Tax Section today to gain access to these resources along with other benefits.
Dedicated resource page that provides guidance, practice aids, tools, and educational resources to help you serve your clients going through a divorce such as articles, guidance on innocent spouse relief, templates to communicate with your client and/or his or her attorney regarding a divorce, and checklists.
Checklist used to address the issues, areas, or topics related to a specific tax form. Preparers use this to ensure compliance with IRS reporting and documentation rules, and identify any missed reporting issues, planning opportunities and potential exam or audit risks on a tax return.
Dedicated resource page that provides guidance, articles, webcast archives, and templates for members to better assist their clients with the 3.8% tax for estates and trusts that have income above the statutory threshold amounts.
Checklists, Practice Guides, and Templates
- Form 5500 Tax Organizer: a client facing package meant to assist in the collection and submission of client information necessary to prepare a tax return.
- Oil & Gas Practice Guide: This practice guide is intended to assist income tax return preparers in reporting the amounts included on Forms 1099 and K-1 with respect to individual taxpayers receiving income from the sale of oil and gas reserves. This guide covers the basics of oil and gas taxation and does not necessarily address the more complex issues of this particular area.
- Unique Considerations Guide for Businesses: This guide provides practitioners some of the information they should consider when preparing individual and business state income tax returns. The laws, regulations and policies of each state should be verified for application to specific cases. This guide is neither authoritative nor all-inclusive and should not be relied upon for a specific taxpayer.
- AICPA Tangible Property Resources: Overview of the tangible property regulations, links to current and previous regulations, sample IRC 3115 resources (for applicable businesses), repair regs flowchart, sample client letter, and more.
Videos, Webcast Archives, and Other Media
- Post-Election Proactive Year-End Tax and Financial Planning Opportunities: This video, presented by Bob Keebler, explains what the new administration may do in regards to financial planning.
- Tax Aware Investing, Tax planning is a critical part of the investment process. In this video, Bob Keebler, CPA/PFS defines tax aware investing and provides an overview of key topics.
- Top Tips for Effective Trust Income Tax Planning, In this video, Bob Keebler discusses how CPAs can effectively help clients with tax planning for trusts, including strategies like bracket management, reducing income tax with trust distributions, and reducing state income tax with trust situs.
- Reducing Investment Taxes in the New Year, Tax Section News, January 27, 2017
- Analysis of a Tax Return for Personal Financial Planning: Checklist to help identify key issues and personal financial planning opportunities during tax return preparation that can help serve your clients better.
- Talking Politics: The Candidates’ Tax Plans and Your Clients’ Questions, Tax Section News, Sept. 23, 2016
- The CPA’s Guide to Financial & Estate Planning: Provides guidance to CPAs advising clients in estate, tax, retirement, investment and risk management matters.
- Advanced Tax Strategies for LLCs and Partnerships: In this course, learn the pros and cons of the LLC, General Partnership, Limited Partnership, and Limited Liability Partnership by focusing on planning and potential tax traps.
- Cutting Your Client's Tax Bill: Individual Planning Tips and Strategies: This CPE course discusses current tax law changes, and provides techniques for building and conserving wealth through proactive tax-planning and investment strategies.