The new tax deadlines will hopefully improve return workflow and workload compression, but require tax practitioners to educate their clients and implement new practice management processes. This page provides the guidance and tools to help you comply with tax return due dates and maximize workflow productivity.
For more information about our advocacy work on this topic, see AICPA Due Dates Legislation Advocacy Efforts.
Need clarity on tax return due dates? Get a brief recap in this video as the AICPA tax team walks through key changes and offers practice management tips.
Checklists, Practice Guides, and Templates
- State Tax Return Due Dates for Corporations Summary Chart: Provides the latest information on state conformity to the federal C corporation (Form 1120) due date as of Mar. 3, 2017.
- State Tax Return Due Dates for Partnerships Summary Chart: Provides the latest information on state conformity to the federal partnership (Form 1065) due date as of Feb. 24, 2017.
- Client Letter on Tax Return Due Date Changes: Use this letter to advise clients on the new deadlines; customize it to best serve your clients.
Videos, Webcast Archives, and Other Media
- New Due Dates: How to Make It Work for Your Tax Practice : This webcast archive provides an in-depth discussion of best practices that will assist in making your tax preparation process more productive.
- Washington Tax Brief - Special Edition Due Dates Legislation: Webcast archive from Sept. 2015 discussing the history, new rules, and concerns around the new tax return due dates.
- A New Year, with New Due Dates, and New Uncertainty , Tax Section News, Jan. 2017
- Guidance Issued on De Minimis Safe Harbor for Information Returns/Payee Statements, The Tax Adviser, Jan. 2017
- New Tax Return Due Dates Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) , Tax Section News, Dec. 2016
- File in Time: Due Date Tracking and Task Management Software: Track all filing deadlines, view your workload, sort tasks, and maximize your firm's productivity.
- Next Filing Season Will Be Better: Due Dates Have a New Logical Order, The Tax Adviser, Aug. 2016
- States Moving to Conform Tax Due Dates with Federal Law, AICPA Insights, May 2016
- A Look at the Impact of New Federal Filing Deadlines, The Tax Adviser, May 2016
- IRS Ends Automatic Extensions for Forms W-2, Journal of Accountancy, Nov. 2015
- IRS Publication 509, Tax Calendars: Provides specific IRS due dates for filing tax forms and paying taxes.
Reviewed March 3, 2017