Tax Section Membership FAQs
Thank you for your commitment to the AICPA and Tax Section. We value your continued support and are here to help you.
This series of frequently asked questions (FAQs) provide answers to common Tax Section membership questions.
The AICPA Tax Section does not answer technical tax questions. However, the Tax Section provides guidance and resources to help its members navigate technical tax issues. Visit the Tax Resource Library for guidance and practice aids designed specifically to help tax professionals elevate their practice, keep up with ever-changing tax laws and professional trends and maintain the highest ethical standards.
The AICPA’s Tax Practitioners’ LinkedIn group keeps members up to date on tax legislation and regulatory developments and fosters peer discussions on technical tax issues and practice management.
The AICPA's Mentoring Program allows participants to be matched with a mentor and/or mentee outside of their organization.
Volunteering is an excellent way to build a network of professionals to help you with tax matters. Visit Volunteer Central or contact the AICPA Tax Section at email@example.com to find out how you can get involved.
Many CPA state societies also offer member forums and networking opportunities to discuss tax matters with local peers. Consider reaching out to your state society to learn about their networking opportunities.
The AICPA’s Statements on Standards for Tax Services (SSTSs) are enforceable tax practice standards for members of the AICPA. The SSTSs and interpretations delineate members' responsibilities to taxpayers, the public, the government and the profession. They are intended to be part of an ongoing process of articulating standards of tax practice for AICPA members.
As part of the Tax Section’s responsibility to its members and the public interest, the Tax Section assists members with questions pertaining to the SSTSs. Contact the Member Service team at 888.777.7077 or email the Tax Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AICPA's Statements on Standards for Tax Services (SSTSs) Revision Task Force is reviewing and revising its SSTSs to reflect the new ways tax practitioners work and is looking for insights into where practitioners think the future of tax will lead. If you have a comment or suggestion on how we can best update the SSTSs, please contact Henry Grzes at Henry.Grzes@aicpa-cima.com.
Tax Section members receive benefits that include:
- Tax practice support and development – Checklists, sample letters, practice guides and toolkits focused on key practice areas in planning, compliance, IRS practice and procedure, firm management and ethics.
- Free webcasts – Free annual registration to our four Tax Practice Quarterly webcasts providing eight hours of CPE credit (two in the field of regulatory ethics and six in the field of taxes).
- Webcast archive library – Unlimited 24/7 access to our archived webcasts.
- The Tax Adviser magazine – A valuable monthly resource for the latest tax-planning techniques and tax-saving methods.
- Relevant tax communications – Delivering recent tax developments, trending issues and planning strategies.
- Member discounts – Discounts, on top of the AICPA member discount, including a $100 savings on select tax conferences and a 20% discount on many other products.
- Advocacy – Representation in Washington on issues specific to CPA tax practitioners.
Tax Section members have access to a collection of client engagement letters, such as templates for individual, partnership, corporation, estate, trust and non-profit tax returns. We also have tax engagement letters to assist with consulting, projections and audits.
See the full list of tax engagement letters in the Tax Section’s Annual Tax Compliance Kit.
Engagement letters are available in November each year, organizers and checklists are available by mid-December, and most practice guides are available late-December.
Tax Section members will receive an email notification when the resources are posted. Visit the Annual Tax Compliance Kit for updates and the latest resources.
Resources contained in our Tax Practitioner’s Marketing Toolkit (such as year-end tax planning letters and client presentations) are typically available by mid-November each year. Visit the Tax Practitioner’s Marketing Toolkit for updates and the latest resources.
Tax Section members receive four complimentary webcasts each year that offer eight hours of CPE credit (two in the field of regulatory ethics and six in the field of taxes). Visit our Free Tax Section CPE Webcasts page for registration links to upcoming events. Also, Tax Section members will receive reminder emails so that they can mark their calendars and register far in advance of each event.
The AICPA Tax Section offers web tours to help members (and prospective members) learn how to get the most out of their membership. We guide you through our valuable resources, provide tips on how to access resources easily, show you how you can suggest new resources and discuss volunteer opportunities available in the AICPA Tax Division. Register for a tour (multiple dates and times available) or listen to a pre-recorded session.
Complete a short suggestion form to let the Tax Section team know how we can better assist you.
To get tax communications tailored to your interests, sign in to your AICPA account and go to My Account at the top of the page. Select My Profile in the dropdown box and then select Communication Preferences in the Settings section.
- In General Information, check that you are subscribed to AICPA News Update and CPA Letter Daily.
- In Tax, check that you are subscribed to Tax Insider.
- In Section Membership, check that you are subscribed to Tax Section News e-Newsletter and Tax Section e-Alert.
The AICPA Member Service team can help you troubleshoot your issues. Before contacting them, you can also try the following tips:
- Use Google Chrome. It is the recommended browser for our website.
- Hit F5 to refresh your browser.
- Clear your history, close your browser and reopen your browser.
- Log out of your account and log back in again.