The Tax Division volunteer family is composed of committees, technical resource panels (TRPs), task forces, working groups and other volunteers who work on specific initiatives and projects.
- Volunteers for tax policy and advocacy focus on emerging legislative, regulatory and administrative developments and issues. They develop positions and advocate for sound tax policy and effective administration.
- Volunteers for tax practice and ethics monitor the tax practice landscape and develop guidance, tools and communications for members in technical, ethical, practice management and procedural tax areas.
How We Serve You
Learn more about the AICPA Tax Division and how our volunteers represent and support the CPA profession.
Tax Division Volunteers
Each committee and TRP has a chair, vice-chair or immediate past chair and eight to 16 other members. Committee and TRP chairs and members are appointed annually by the chair of the AICPA Board of Directors.
Chairs of all committees and TRPs serve one year as vice chair, two years as chair and one year as immediate past chair. After service as chair, the member will generally not be reappointed to the same volunteer group.
Committee and TRP appointments are for a one-year term. Those who make positive contributions are generally offered reappointment for additional terms, up to a total of three consecutive years on a committee and four years on a TRP.
Members are expected to:
- Attend meetings
- Participate in conference calls
- Complete assigned tasks on time
- Suggest items for the volunteer group to consider
Five committees are divided between tax policy and advocacy and tax practice and ethics responsibilities.
- Tax Executive Committee (TEC) (Senior leadership committee that works on advocacy and tax practice and ethics issues.)
- Tax Practice & Procedures Committee (tax practice and ethics)
- Tax Practice Management Committee (tax practice and ethics)
- Tax Practice Responsibilities Committee (tax practice and ethics)
- IRS Advocacy & Relations Committee (advocacy)
Technical Resource Panels (TRPs)
Ten TRPs are policy & advocacy focused and comprised of the following technical areas:
Task Forces, Working Groups and Other Ways to Volunteer
In addition to committees and TRPs, the Tax Division works with volunteers who serve on task forces, working groups and special projects. For example, some volunteers do not have a standing long-term commitment, but volunteer to write an article, speak on a webcast or help on a specific resource or initiative.
How to Volunteer
To apply to a committee or TRP, members must apply through Volunteer Central. The application window for candidates to apply is generally from June 1 to October 1 for the next volunteer year with the volunteer year starting in May of the following year.
To get involved with other Tax Division initiatives, please email the AICPA Tax Section at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know your interest and technical expertise and we will add you to a volunteer database to get involved.