As a sole practitioner, you have unique needs and challenges. According to the PCPS CPA Top issues survey, the top five issues for sole practitioners include keeping up with changes & complexity of tax laws, bringing in new clients, seasonality/workload compression, retaining current clients, the effect on firms caused by new federal & state regulations (e.g., increasing complexity, costs to comply).
Join the PCPS Firm Practice Management Section today!
Strategy and Planning
Set the course for your practice through these simple, cost-effective tools. Join a community where you can easily network with peers and share challenges, ideas and solutions.
- Practice Continuity Agreements - Keep your small firm secure by implementing a practice continuity agreement with our resource guide.
- Small Firm Networking Groups - Leverage the knowledge of peers who have been in your seat and driven their practices to the next level.
- Small Firm Resources - Keep up with the resources and trends happening that will impact your firm.
For a full view of tools and resources, visit the Strategy & Planning page.
- Tax Practitioner’s Toolkit for Solos and Small Firms - Highlight your value as a CPA providing tax services – retain current tax clients and gain new ones.
- Trusted Client Adviser Toolbox - Ask the right questions to identify additional service opportunities and go beyond core accounting services.
- Social Media Toolkit - Gear up with social media, an inexpensive way to stay front and center with clients.
- Tax Return for Planning Opportunities Checklist - Created by CPA financial planners, this expert checklist identifies financial planning opportunities as you analyze your client’s returns.
For a full view of tools and resources, visit the Practice Growth & Client Services page.
Human Capital Center (HR Resources)
Whether you already have a few staff or are hiring for the first time, these human resource customizable templates will assist you in the process of managing people.
- Sample Team Member Handbook (Employee Manual) - Customize this turn-key employee manual to fit your needs as they arise.
- Org Chart – Sole Practitioner - Customize our template when it’s time for your first hires – administrative or professional.
- Administrative Roles in a CPA Firm - Clarify the roles of administrative staff by using these example role descriptions.
- Interview Questions by Role - Save time drafting interview questions by simply using these questions.
- Performance Management Forms - Incorporate these templates for effective management of staff – establish specific performance measures to evaluate performance.
For a full view of tools and resources, visit the Human Capital Center page.
Technical: Quality & Services Delivery
Keep up with tax changes, accounting & auditing standards and deliver these services to your clients at the highest quality with resources that can be easily integrated into your practice.
- Client Brochure - Comparative Overview of Compilation, Review and Audit
- CPA Comfort Letters to Lenders - Review common issues surrounding comfort letter requests and use our sample response with your clients.
- Tax Resources - Stay abreast of tax law changes with these resources. The Health Care Reform Toolkit can be used to advise and prepare clients for its tax and other implications.
- Quantum of Paperless - Author Roman H. Kepczyk, CPA.CITP, identifies today’s digital best practices and explains how to implement them to propel your firm forward.
For a full view of tools and resources, visit the Technical: Quality & Services Delivery page.
Financial and Administrative Services
Benchmark your results against other firms in your region and of similar size to map growth opportunities in your own practice.
- National MAP Survey results (Benchmarking) - Analyze the financial results of your practice and benchmark with other practices of similar size
- Starting your Own CPA Practice Checklist - Follow a solid pathway of considerations for opening and operating a CPA practice
- Management of an Accounting Practice (MAP) Handbook - This publication addresses a myriad of administrative and personnel topics and PCPS members get a discount!
For a full view of tools and resources, visit the Financial and Administrative Services page.