According to the most recent PCPS CPA Firm Top Issues Survey, current small firm challenges include keeping up with changes and complexity of tax laws, the effects of new regulations and standards, succession planning, finding and retaining qualified staff at all levels and seasonality/workload compression.
Join the PCPS Firm Practice Management Section today!
Strategic planning often takes a back seat to client workload. However, proper planning is the foundation for growth and sustainability. Take advantage of these customizable tools to plot your firm’s direction.
- Small Firm Networking Groups - Build relationships and exchange ideas with your peer CPAs.
- Guide to Strategic Planning - Develop a one page strategic plan.
- Succession Planning Resource Center - Work through various succession scenarios including merging or just turning out the lights and use a template to draft a Practice Continuation Agreement.
- Firm inMotion e-Toolkit - Find your way through the latest trends on the horizon while embracing generational differences and continuing to meet client needs and expectations.
Visit the Strategy & Planning page for all tools and resources.
Practice Growth & Client Service
Explore new service opportunities, strengthen client relationships, communicate your value and show how your practice is unique with these turn-key solutions.
- YOU are the Value Workshop - Overcome fee pressure by showing your clients what you’re made of! Walk through this workshop to draft a compelling message to articulate your firm’s unique value.
- Trusted Client Adviser Toolbox - Utilize these tools to help you ask the right questions and identify additional service opportunities that extend beyond core accounting services.
- Roadmap to Developing and Managing a CPA Personal Financial Planning Practice - Plot a route to successfully add PFP as another value-added service to your established practice.
- Tax Practitioner’s Toolkit for Small Firms - Use this toolkit to attract and retain tax clients by highlighting your value as a CPA providing tax services.
Visit the Practice Growth & Client Service page for all tools and resources.
Human Capital Center (HR Resources)
Whether you currently have staff or are hiring for the first time, this information and customizable templates and tools will assist you in the process of managing and developing your people.
- Employee Retention Tools - Keep your high-performing staff with new strategies and solutions.
- Sample Team Member Handbook - Customize this turn-key employee manual to establish basic employee guidelines.
- Interview Questions by Role - Use these sample questions developed for specific roles within your practice.
- Performance Management Forms - Incorporate these templates which help establish performance measures, evaluate performance and effectively manage staff.
Visit the Human Capital Center page for all tools and resources.
Technical: Quality & Services Delivery
Keep up with tax changes, accounting and auditing standards, educate staff and deliver these services to your clients at the highest quality.
- Quantum of Paperless - Author Roman Kepczyk, CPA.CITP, identifies today’s digital best practices and explains how to implement them to be a high performing firm.
- CPA Comfort Letters to Lenders - Review common issues surrounding comfort letter requests and use language provided in a sample letter.
- PCPS Exploring SSARS No. 21 Toolkit – Educate staff and advise clients on the changes to SSARS No. 21.
- Invigorate the Focus on Quality Toolkit -Take a fresh look at the quality control processes and procedures in your practice using these resources
Visit the Technical: Quality & Services Delivery page for all tools and resources.
Financial & Administrative Services
Maximize your performance through effective financial and administrative operations by determining sound management policies and analyzing the financial metrics in your practice.
- National MAP Survey - View the 2016 results from the profession's premier benchmarking study!
- Starting Your CPA Practice Planning Checklist - Are you new to firm ownership? Follow a pathway of considerations for opening and operating a CPA practice.
- Small Firm Update Webcasts - Tune in for these regular updates and hear trends affecting CPAs operating small practices and best practices being used across the country.
- Management of an Accounting Practice (MAP) Handbook - This publication (discounted for PCPS members) addresses a myriad of administrative and personnel topics and provides various sample templates and checklists.
Visit the Financial & Administrative Services page for all tools and resources.