CPA Firm Administration
As one of the key employees with their fingers on the pulse of the firm, Firm Administrators work hard to insure the partners and employees work in relative ease, unaware of the efforts behind the scenes that allow them to do their jobs seamlessly.
The largest Management of an Accounting Practice (MAP) benchmarking survey in North America was fielded earlier this year and results and benchmarking reports are now available!
This guide defines the roles of Firm Administrator, Director of Operations, and Office Manager and also provides strategic information as to hiring, developing and effectively utilizing these key positions in a CPA firm.
Firm Administrators are responsible for many areas of expertise within the firm. These links will provide direction to some of the tools on the PCPS website you will find most useful.
Human Capital Center
All things related Human Resource Management, from Organizational Structure and Governance to Team Recruitment to Employee Retention and everything in between.
- Sample Team Member Handbook (Employee Manual)
- Firm Competency Model (Career Ladder) – This tool provides definitions of the five roles within the firm, the five core competencies and the competency behaviors, all of which drive the Performance Management system.
- Partner Accountability & Unity Guide - This guide presents a Leadership Accountability Model where each element necessary to develop a culture of performance and accountability is explored and ideas within each element are outlined to help identify areas where the performance of the firm’s partner team can be improved.
Strategy and Planning
Strategic planning is the foundation for growth and sustainability. Be the leader in helping the firm achieve short-term and long-term goals with these tools and solutions for practice management.
- Workload Compression Survey - Workload compression has consistently been a top five issue for the AICPA PCPS firms across all sizes. In May 2016, CPAFMA worked with PCPS to survey over 125 members of both organizations to identify strategies firms are using to mitigate the impact of seasonality and workload compression.
- Client Evaluation Tool and A-B-C-D Client Explanation Tool - Partners will thank you when you introduce them to the PCPS client evaluation tools, which will aid in acknowledgement of clients that are the money makers and those that are a drain on the firm.
- Succession Planning Resource Center – Includes a comprehensive how-to guidebook, timing calculator, readiness assessment, along with comprehensive tools and templates which can be used to prepare for, plan and execute partner transitions.
- Creating a One Page Strategic Plan - Gather together your firm's management team, follow this simple process and use the related tools to construct a one page strategic plan. This one page plan can act as the basis for all firm objectives, including the process of deriving recruiting and performance management goals.
These articles, written with input from top performing Firm Administrators provide insight into common problems faced by Firm Administrators.
The CPA Firm Management Association is the home for CPA Firm Administration.
- Public Accounting Firm Manager (PAFM) - CPAFMA's Public Accounting Firm Manager (PAFM) program provides the opportunity to demonstrate you have the knowledge, leadership, skills, and abilities to operate at a high level of expertise in the field of accounting firm management. The process of attaining the PAFM designation includes meeting the experience-and education-based eligibility requirements, agreeing to adhere to CPAFMA’s Core Values of a Firm Manager, and fulfilling the continuing education/recertification requirements.