PFP & CPA/PFS Learning Opportunities
The AICPA offers learning options for CPAs at all levels, whether you are preparing to become a CPA/PFS or you already have the credential. The learning opportunities we offer address key areas in the personal financial planning (PFP) Body of Knowledge including:
- Risk management
- Insurance planning
In addition, related areas are included such as charitable, education, elder, employee benefits and business owner planning. Tax planning is an integral part of each area and an incredible opportunity for CPA’s to open the door to deeper client rellationships.
Types of Learning Opportunities
We offer a variety of ways to obtain the knowledge needed to pass the exam, obtain a certificate or obtain the PFS credential.
Foundational learning opportunities
Essentials of Personal Financial Planning (Publication)
This book discusses and encourages planners to take a holistic approach to life planning, a process that places the client and the client’s desires, dreams, and goals above the financial plan. First covering robust foundational concepts (the PFP process, Standards, planning for retirement, estate and charitable goals, insurance, investments, elder needs, and education), the book builds on these to provide a deeper understanding of the PFP body of knowledge and its application, with an emphasis on income tax planning and integration with overall client goals.
In-depth learning opportunities
PFP Certificate Programs (on-demand CPE)
The certificate program is a complete curriculum of financial planning education covering the complete PFP Body of knowledge. Each program provides education broken into easily digestible modules of 2-4 hours of CPE for a total of 18-20 hours. The certificate exam tests your knowledge on all material covered in the program. Passing the certificate exam gives you a digital badge to display online and counts toward the education and exam requirements of the PFS credential.
We offer 5 certificates:
- Retirement Planning Certificate — retirement and elder planning
- Investment Planning Certificate — investment and education planning
- Risk Management and Insurance Planning Certificate — insurance and employee and business owner planning
- Estate Planning Certificate — estate and charitable planning
- PFP Practical Applications Certificate — PFP process, professional responsibilies, fundamental concepts, and case studies to tie all the other topics together
PFP Webcasts (online CPE)
Webcasts that provide up-to-date infromation on a variety of financial planning related topics.
Conferences (in-person CPE)
Conferences that provide you with additional learning on current and hot topics and peer networking opportunities.
PFS exam review options
We offer the PFP Boot Camp as a comprehensive way to cover the entire PFP Body of Knowledge outline as a final review for the PFS exam. Seasoned CPAs can use this course to identify those areas where they need more in-depth learning. We offer 3 options:
- online on-demand CPE: offered in seven modules
- virtual online class: classes are offered in May and November as an online rebroadcast
- in-person class: a 2 1/2 day class offered in June at Engage Conference and November (at state societies)
Find out if you qualify for a reduced price for the PFS Exam through our PFS Exam Sponsorship.
The AICPA makes practice questions and case studies available to assist in preparing for the comprehensive PFS exam.