In this episode, learn what happens when a client gifts and sells property to an intentionally defective grantor trust and passes away 15 years later. Bob Keebler and Jonathan Blattmachr discuss the following topics related to the basis of the property:
- How is the basis of property determined?
- What are exceptions to the income tax free step-up in basis rule?
- Why is an installment sale to a grantor trust so powerful?
- What do proposed regulations say about the tax-free step up in basis and what may happen post-election?
Access the related resources from this podcast:
- The in-depth Adviser’s Guide to Financial and Estate Planning – www.aicpa.org/pfpguides
- Learn more about the installment sale to a grantor trust strategy in the podcast, How to help clients take advantage of low interest rates – www.aicpa.org/pfp/library
The episode is brought to you by the AICPA’s Personal Financial Planning Section (www.aicpa.org/pfp), the premier provider of information, tools, advocacy and guidance for professionals who specialize in providing tax, estate, retirement, risk management and investment planning advice and by the CPA/PFS Credential (www.aicpa.org/pfs) program which allows CPAs to demonstrate competence and confidence in providing these services to their clients. Visit us online at www.aicpa.org/pfp to join our community and gain access to valuable member-only benefits.