In this episode, Bob Keebler, CPA/PFS, interviews Mark Fichtenbaum, CPA, JD, LLM, one of the foremost experts in the country on the taxation of securities, about bond tax planning strategies to consider with your relevant clients during a volatile market with low interest rates:
- What are the tax planning opportunities when purchasing bonds that are trading at a premium?
- What are the planning opportunities if you already own a premium bond?
- How can you effectively and efficiently harvest losses on securities to offset capital gains from bonds?
- What are alternative planning strategies to avoid violating the wash-sale rules?
- What are the estate planning considerations for premium bonds where there is a step up in basis?
- What are some examples showing these tax strategies?
Access the related resources from this podcast:
- Visit aicpa.org/pfp/proactiveplanning for more tax planning strategies and find Bob Keebler’s decision charts updated for 2020.
- Visit aicpa.org/pfp/covid19 to find resources and information about planning during the pandemic.
- Visit aicpa.org/covid19tax to find tax guidance and more.
The episode is brought to you by the AICPA’s Personal Financial Planning Section (www.aicpa.org/pfp), the premier provider of information, tools, advocacy and guidance for professionals who specialize in providing tax, estate, retirement, risk management and investment planning advice and by the CPA/PFS Credential (www.aicpa.org/pfs) program which allows CPAs to demonstrate competence and confidence in providing these services to their clients. Visit us online at www.aicpa.org/pfp to join our community and gain access to valuable member-only benefits.