General Electric is offering buyouts to about 100,000 pensioners and freezing the retiree payments for about 20,700 salaried pensioners, as part of the company's effort to shed debt as it faces pressure to improve its performance. In this podcast, Bob Keebler, CPA/PFS interviews Ed Slott to answer the questions:
- What are the key factors that CPA financial planners should consider for their clients who are impacted by the GE pension buyout?
- How will the conversation differ for each employee? Which clients should consider taking the lump sum buyout?
- What are the tax issues to consider?
Access the related resources from this podcast:
- The Adviser’s Guide to Retirement and Elder Planning
- Demonstrate your competency in personal financial planning with the CPA/PFS credential or the PFP certificate program.
The episode is brought to you by the AICPA’s Personal Financial Planning Section, the premier provider of information, tools, advocacy and guidance for professionals who specialize in providing tax, estate, retirement, risk management and investment planning advice and by the CPA/PFS Credential program which allows CPAs to demonstrate competence and confidence in providing these services to their clients. Visit us online at www.aicpa.org/pfp to join our community and gain access to valuable member-only benefits.
Don’t miss an episode – you can hear our podcasts online anywhere via your web browser, no podcast app required. Just search for “AICPA Personal Financial Planning” on any Apple, Android or Windows device.