In this episode, Bob Keebler, CPA/PFS discusses the planning strategies related to the proposed SECURE Act using charitable remainder trusts (CRTs) as beneficiaries as IRAs to simulate a stretch IRA. He answers the questions:
- When the SECURE Act becomes law, what happens to the stretch IRA as we know it today?
- If the stretch IRA is gone for most descendants, is there any hope for continued life stretch-out?
- Is a stretch-out only a tax deferral strategy or is there more to it?
- How would a CRT be structured to receive retirement benefits?
- What are the tax consequences of naming a CRT of a retirement plan beneficiary?
- And more!
Access the related resources from this podcast:
- Impact of Tax Reform on Planning Toolkit
- H.R.1994 - Setting Every Community Up for Retirement Enhancement Act of 2019
The episode is brought to you by the AICPA’s Personal Financial Planning Section, the premier provider of information, tools, advocacy and guidance for professionals who specialize in providing tax, estate, retirement, risk management and investment planning advice and by the CPA/PFS Credential program which allows CPAs to demonstrate competence and confidence in providing these services to their clients. Visit us online at www.aicpa.org/pfp to join our community and gain access to valuable member-only benefits.
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe to our podcast series on iTunes or Pod-o-Matic! Just search for “AICPA Personal Financial Planning” on any Apple, Android or Windows device from your web browser or favorite podcast app.