Blockchain and cryptocurrency are two trending topics in the financial technology ("fintech") space. CPAs in tax and financial planning should be aware of a number of opportunities and challenges posed by blockchain technologies and cryptocurrencies in order to best serve clients.
In this webcast, Ryan Firth and Shehan Chandrasekera will provide an overview of:
- How blockchains (which underpin cryptocurrencies) work,
- Terminology commonly used when talking about blockchains and cryptocurrencies,
- A survey of the top market cap weighted cryptocurrencies currently available to the public,
- How retail consumers typically buy and sell cryptocurrencies,
- How cryptocurrencies are currently treated from a tax perspective in the U.S.,
- What considerations advisers should be aware of when working with clients who own or are thinking of investing in cryptocurrencies.
This presentation will give you a foundation upon which you can build in order to implement best tax and financial planning practices so that you can appropriately advise your clients on this nascent asset class.