The AICPA Not-for-Profit Member Section offers a variety of helpful audit and accounting workpaper templates for use by both financial-statement preparers and auditors. Some templates include an “Instructions” tab to guide users in completing the information successfully. Below are brief descriptions of the various templates available for download. While they are grouped by typical user, please note that many are useful for preparers and auditors alike. Feel free to use the templates that best meet your needs.
Templates for Financial Statement Preparers
- Promises to Give – Use this workpaper to track promises-to-give activity, computed discounts, uncollectable promises to give, and long- and short-term portions.
- Net Assets – This workpaper is a simple rollforward for use by non-complex entities.
- Net Assets Rollforward – No Netting – Use this workpaper when the entity’s policy is to record temporarily restricted contributions received and expended in the same year as temporarily restricted contributions, with a net assets reclassification from temporarily restricted to unrestricted.
- Net Assets – Netting – Use this workpaper when the entity’s policy is to record temporarily restricted contributions received and expended in the same year as unrestricted contributions.
- Investment Rollforward – Use this workpaper to roll forward basic investment activity.
- Endowment Rollforward – Use this workpaper to track endowment activity.
- Property, Plant, and Equipment – Use this workpaper to track PP&E activity, depreciation, sales and disposals, depreciation expense reasonableness, and cash flows reporting.
- Long-term Debt Rollforward – Use this workpaper for tracking notes payable, interest expense and interest payable, long- and short-term portions, and cash flows reporting.
Templates for Auditors
- Investment Balances and Account Reconciliations – This workpaper is for auditors to use in auditing investments.
- Analysis of Debt – This workpaper is for auditors to use in auditing debt and leases rollforward activity, debt maturities, and debt covenant compliance.
- Alternative Investments – This workpaper is for auditors to use in auditing investment rollforward activity and the steps performed to satisfy the valuation assertion related to alternative investments reported at NAV.
- SOC 1 Checklist – This workpaper is designed to help NFP auditors document their procedures and findings related to controls at a service organization that are likely to be relevant to the not-for-profit auditee's internal controls over financial reporting.