AICPA Accounting and Valuation Guides
- Testing Goodwill for Impairment - This guide provides accounting and valuation guidance for impairment testing of goodwill. Specifically, it focuses on practice issues related to the qualitative assessment and the first step of the two-step test.
- Valuation of Privately-Held-Company Equity Securities Issued as Compensation - Since the issuance of FASB ASC 718 and 505-50 in 2004, valuing stock-based compensation ("cheap stock") has been a significant challenge for private companies. This guide has been designed to mitigate those challenges. It brings you practical guidance and illustrations related to accounting, disclosures and valuation of privately held company equity securities issued as compensation.
- Assets Acquired in a Business Combination to Be Used in Research and Development Activities - This guide provides guidance and illustrations regarding the initial and subsequent accounting for, valuation of, and disclosures related to acquired intangible assets used in research and development activities (IPR&D assets).
Acuitas Surveys of Fair Value Audit Deficiencies
Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (“PCAOB”) inspection reports provide insight into recent audit quality trends. Acuitas, Inc.’s Survey of Fair Value Audit Deficiencies is intended to assist financial statement preparers, auditors, and valuation specialists in understanding the underlying causes of fair value measurement and impairment audit deficiencies, as reported by the PCAOB. [External]
Appraisal Foundation - Appraisal Practices Board Valuation Advisories
- Valuation Advisories, issued by the Appraisal Practices Board (APB), are documents that offer voluntary guidance on recognized valuation methods and techniques.
- APB VFR Valuation Advisory #1 [External]: Identification of Contributory Assets and Calculation of Economic Rents
- APB VFR Valuation Advisory #1 [External]: (Toolkit): Identification of Contributory Assets and Calculation of Economic Rents
- APB VFR Valuation Advisory #2 [External]: The Valuation of Customer-Related Assets
- International Valuation Standards Council (IVSC)[External]- The IVSC is an independent, not-for-profit organization that produces and implements universally accepted standards for the valuation of assets across the world in the public interest. The AICPA is a member of the IVSC.