Tax Fundamentals of LLCs and Partnerships
Gain the technical knowledge and expertise to respond to the needs of new and existing clients.
NASBA Field of Study
Deborah A. Phillips
LLC and partnership taxation
Hone your skills
Gain – or refresh – your knowledge about the complex areas of LLC taxation and partnership taxation.
Understand the fundamental concepts to build a strong foundation of knowledge, and freshen up your skills.
Most common transactions
Learn about the tax consequences of the most common transactions engaged in by LLCs and partnerships.
Understand how to explain to clients the tax consequences associated with issues that are most frequently confronted by tax practitioners.
- Basic tax structure of partnerships and LLCs
- Electing to be taxed as a partnership: "Check-the-box" rules
- Tax consequences of a partnership or LLC formation
- Partnership distributions
- Compensatory payments to partners
- At-risk and passive activity limits
- Profit and loss allocations: General rules and restrictions
- Reporting taxable income for partnerships and LLCs
- Identify the effects of investor contributions and distributions on their basis in a partnership or LLC interest.
- Calculate the tax basis of assets transferred to a partnership or LLC at formation.
- Recognize the tax consequences of a transfer of liabilities to a partnership or LLC in connection with property transfers at formation.
- Calculate the partner's or member's remaining basis in interest following a distribution of cash or property from the partnership or LLC.
- Calculate the amount of the guaranteed payment when the partner is to receive the lesser of a fixed dollar amount or a fixed percentage of partnership income.
- Distinguish between "book" allocations required under Section 704(b) and "tax" allocations required under Section 704(c).
- Identify the potential economic consequences of a special allocation to a partner or LLC member.
- Recognize whether special allocations required under Section 704(c) have been made on a partnership or LLC tax return.
Who Will Benefit
- Public accounting staff and seniors
- Tax professionals in company finance or tax departments
Group ordering for your team
The Association is dedicated to removing barriers to the accountancy profession and ensuring that all accountancy professionals and other members of the public with an interest in the profession or joining the profession, including those with disabilities, have access to the profession and the Association's website, educational materials, products, and services.The Association is committed to making professional learning accessible to all product users. This commitment is maintained in accordance with applicable law. For additional information, please refer to the Association's Website Accessibility Policy. As part of this commitment, this product is closed-captioned. For additional accommodation requests please contact email@example.com and indicate the product that you are interested in (title, etc.) and the requested accommodation(s): Audio/Visual/Other. A member of our team will be in contact with you promptly to make sure we meet your needs appropriately.