Power BI - Use Advanced Calculations with DAX Formulas
This webcast focuses on using DAX (Data Analysis eXpressions) to create advanced calculations in Power Pivot data models.
NASBA Field of Study
Computer Software and Applications
This webcast is part of the 2020 Power BI Series. Please see below for the suggested viewing order.
This webcast focuses on using DAX (Data Analysis eXpressions) to create advanced calculations in Power Pivot data models. We will review what you learned in "Power BI - Go Beyond PivotTables with Power Pivot" and take your calculations to the next level using advanced DAX formulas.
You will learn over 20 DAX functions that will allow you to perform calculations that were not possible with standard Excel. We will also review the use of a date or calendar table that allows us to perform date analysis that was never possible before. This will allow us to use the new time-intelligent functions to perform complex calculations on our data like: month-to-date, quarter-to-date, year-to-date, last year same period, last year-to-date, etc. You will also learn the DAX calculation process in order to proof and validate your calculations.
We will be using Power Pivot to create our DAX calculations, however, the process is very similar in Power BI Desktop and the functions and formulas are identical. If you are using Power BI Desktop, you should be able to follow along and learn how to create advanced calculations.
This series is presented using Excel 2019/Office 365. Regardless of the version you are using, most concepts covered in this webcast series apply to all versions of Excel. However, in order to follow along and apply concepts being taught during this session, you need to have the Power Pivot add-in installed.
Explore the other webcasts in the 2020 Power BI Series:
- Power BI - Introduction to MS Power BI Tools
- Power BI - Prepare Your Data Efficiently for Excel Analysis
- Power BI - Analyze Your Data With Excel Pivot Tables
- Power BI - Create Excel Dashboards for Maximum Impact
- Power BI - Use Power Query to Transform Your Data
- Power BI - Go Beyond PivotTables with Power Pivot
- Power BI - Use Advanced Calculations with DAX Formulas
- Power BI - Use PBI Desktop to Create Reports and Dashboards
- Power BI - Share Your Data Analysis using PowerBI.com
- Anyone who is using Power Pivot or Power BI Desktop for data analysis
- Review Power Pivot calculations (column calculations vs. measures)
- Create advanced DAX formulas
- Using a Date / Calendar table for data analysis
- The DAX calculation process
- Create calculations using DAX formulas.
- Use a Date / Calendar table to perform complex date analysis.
- Use the DAX calculation process to validate calculations.
Group ordering for your team
The Association is dedicated to removing barriers to the accountancy profession and ensuring that all accountancy professionals and other members of the public with an interest in the profession or joining the profession, including those with disabilities, have access to the profession and the Association's website, educational materials, products, and services. The Association is committed to making professional learning accessible to all. This commitment is maintained in accordance with applicable law. For additional information, please refer to the Association's Website Accessibility Policy. For accommodation requests, please contact email@example.com and indicate the product that you are interested in (title, etc.) and the requested accommodation(s): Audio/Visual/Other. A member of our team will be in contact with you promptly to make sure we meet your needs appropriately.