Intermediate Individual Taxation
Learn tax tips and latest tax strategies to help your individual clients. Understand how to respond to the needs of new and existing clients.
NASBA Field of Study
J. William Harden
Congress continues to create uncertainty with its frequent legislative changes. Learn the tax law changes and the individual and business planning opportunities they provide.
Gather a wealth of tax-planning tips and strategies, and learn about key tax return issues so you have the latest guidance to better serve your clients. Explore in-depth the effects of the latest tax legislation, including the American Rescue Plan of 2021, tax court decisions, and IRS guidance on the hottest tax topics affecting individual taxpayers.
- Gains and losses on property transactions
- Fringe benefits
- Retirement plan distributions
- Hobby losses
- Home offices
- Depreciation and amortization
- Tax credits
- The qualified business income deduction under Section 199A
- Determine the various items that should be included or excluded in an individual's gross income and their proper tax treatment.
- Identify the specific rules that apply under the "passive activity" rules.
- Identify and calculate the business deduction for home office expenses and deduction limitations on vacation homes and other ordinary business expenses.
- Recognize the tax implications of having rental real estate classified as an active or passive activity.
- Determine the amounts allowable for deducting travel, transportation, and meals expenses.
- Identify the rules for depreciation and amortization deductions.
- Differentiate between capital and ordinary income treatment on property transactions.
- Identify tax consequences for self-employed retirement plans and IRAs.
- Gather the information required to include the claim for a tax credit on an individual income tax return.
- Calculate the qualified business income deduction.
Who Will Benefit
CPAs working with clients or employers requiring up-to-date expertise in individual income taxation for the current tax season
Group ordering for your team
The Association is dedicated to removing barriers to the accountancy profession and ensuring that all accountancy professionals and other members of the public with an interest in the profession or joining the profession, including those with disabilities, have access to the profession and the Association's website, educational materials, products, and services.The Association is committed to making professional learning accessible to all product users. This commitment is maintained in accordance with applicable law. For additional information, please refer to the Association's Website Accessibility Policy. As part of this commitment, this product is closed-captioned. For additional accommodation requests please contact email@example.com and indicate the product that you are interested in (title, etc.) and the requested accommodation(s): Audio/Visual/Other. A member of our team will be in contact with you promptly to make sure we meet your needs appropriately.