The Estate Planning Process
Gain a broad awareness of the foundational concepts of estate planning.
NASBA Field of Study
Tom Tillery, Susan M. Tillery
This CPE course can be purchased individually or as part of the Estate Planning Certificate Program.
As a personal financial planner, you should have a broad awareness of the foundational concepts of estate planning to be an effective advocate for your clients.
Updated for the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) of 2017, this CPE course addresses elements and deductions of the gross estate and the calculation of the federal estate tax. Additional topics include:
- Income in respect of the decedent and its impact on the federal estate tax calculation;
- State estate and inheritance taxes;
- The rule for gift taxes paid within three years of death;
- The treatment of adjusted taxable gifts
This course also covers the key steps in the calculation of Form 706 United States Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return.
Enhanced On-Demand Format
This enhanced on-demand format offers meaningful and relevant content in the form of tables, charts, and discussion points on slides. An instructor who is an expert on the topical area breaks down complex topics, offers best practices, provides clarity, and shares insights that help the learner achieve the learning objectives for the course.
- Fundamentals of estate planning
- Estate tax calculations
- Basic estate planning process
- Instructions for care in the event of incapacity
- Instructions for passing along the client’s values (education, religious beliefs, work ethic, etc.) Nomination of a guardian for minor children
- Provisions for family members with special needs
- Provisions for the transfer of business interests in the event of death or incapacity
- Recognize the advantages of the probate process.
- Recall the procedure that is used to dispose of a decedent's personal and property.Interests Identify a type of property interest that can only be held by spouses
- Recall that certain expenses and taxes are deducted in the estate tax calculation.
- Identify property that is included in the gross estate.
- Determine the correct tax treatment for income in respect of a decedent Identify the benefits of estate planning.
- Recognize when a personal financial client is intestate.
- Recall an estate planning recommendation that address incapacity
Group ordering for your team
The Association is dedicated to removing barriers to the accountancy profession and ensuring that all accountancy professionals and other members of the public with an interest in the profession or joining the profession, including those with disabilities, have access to the profession and the Association's website, educational materials, products, and services. The Association is committed to making professional learning accessible to all. This commitment is maintained in accordance with applicable law. For additional information, please refer to the Association's Website Accessibility Policy. For accommodation requests, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the product that you are interested in (title, etc.) and the requested accommodation(s): Audio/Visual/Other. A member of our team will be in contact with you promptly to make sure we meet your needs appropriately.