Retirement and Elder Planning
Understand the basic concept of retirement benefits – its history, the current landscape and what it means for you and your clients.
NASBA Field of Study
Tom Tillery, Susan M. Tillery
This CPE course can be purchased individually, or as a part of the Fundamentals of Fundamentals of Personal Financial Planning program.
Understand the key concepts and potentials concerns related to helping clients plan for their future retirement and financial independence.
Understand the basic concept of retirement benefits − its history, the current landscape and what it means for you and your clients today and in the future − by exploring the following topics:
- Historical and fundamental assumptions from a brief history of the concept of retirement to concepts of realistic goal setting, inflation, life expectancy, investment returns, and creating a spending plan
- Various types of retirement plans including qualified employer plans, IRAs, and Social Security benefits
- The regulatory environment, including applicable regulatory bodies and rules
With real-life scenarios and practical guidance, understand how the various retirement funding options fit into a client's overall financial goals, so you can develop a comprehensive and practical financial plan for your clients.
- Historic and fundamental assumptions
- Regulatory environment
- Various types of retirement plans
- Identify where and when the Normal Retirement Age (as defined by the IRS) was established.
- Recall the definition of inflation and its impact on individuals.
- Identify the regulatory acts impacting retirement planning.
- Identify age and service requirements as required by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
- Identify types of retirement plans based on benefits, features, and plan design.
- Recall the origin, purpose, and benefits of the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation.
- Identify retirement plans funded through an IRA contract.
- Recognize Social Security programs and benefits.
Group ordering for your team
The Association is dedicated to removing barriers to the accountancy profession and ensuring that all accountancy professionals and other members of the public with an interest in the profession or joining the profession, including those with disabilities, have access to the profession and the Association's website, educational materials, products, and services.The Association is committed to making professional learning accessible to all product users. This commitment is maintained in accordance with applicable law. For additional information, please refer to the Association's Website Accessibility Policy. As part of this commitment, this product is closed-captioned. For additional accommodation requests please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the product that you are interested in (title, etc.) and the requested accommodation(s): Audio/Visual/Other. A member of our team will be in contact with you promptly to make sure we meet your needs appropriately.