Not-for-Profit Certificate I
Set yourself apart with this comprehensive program that covers the essentials of not-for-profit financial management, including accounting and financial reporting, tax compliance, governance and assurance. This 40-hour CPE program offers an affordable, convenient, dynamic learning experience.
NASBA Field of Study
Build a strong foundation for your nonprofit skills.
If you work for or with a nonprofit and would like to build or refresh your knowledge of NFP financial concepts, this unique CPE program gives you the thorough grounding you’re looking for.
The four included tracks cover all aspects of nonprofit financial responsibility, including accounting & financial reporting, governance & assurance, and tax compliance.
Courses included in this program
- Not-for-Profit Entity Overview
Accounting and Financial Reporting Track
- GAAP for NFPs
- Financial Statement Presentation
- Net Assets
- Exchange and Agency Transactions
- Revenue from Contributions
- Programmatic Investments
- Fair Value Issues Specific to NFPs
- Split Interest Agreements and Endowments
Tax Compliance Track
- Tax Exempt Status
- Unrelated Business Income Tax
- Introduction to Form 990
- Private Foundations
- Federal and State Filing Requirements
Not-for-Profit Governance and Assurance Track
- Best Practices in Board Governance
- Risk Assessment and Internal Controls
- Fraud Overview and Prevention
- Planning the Audit Engagement
- Financial Oversight, Budget and Strategy
- Auditing Considerations
Learn anytime, anywhere.
Winner of Accounting Today's Best New Products award, this program contains real-world examples, case studies, and interactive problem-solving to create a flexible, dynamic learning program that can be completed anytime, anywhere.
Spotlight your accomplishment online
Successful completion earns a digital badge you can showcase anywhere on the web — including LinkedIn, your company's website or online resume. Your Certificate and digital badge information will be sent to you once you've completed the program.
- Introduction to accounting topics that apply to Not-for-Profit Entities
- Accounting and financial reporting issues
- Tax compliance considerations, including fully updated information related to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Best practices in governance and assurance
- Identify the proper accounting treatment for typical transactions of not-for-profit entities, including the significant changes related to revenue recognition.
- Recognize the financial statement presentation and disclosure requirements that apply to not-for-profit entities, including those added or amended under ASU 2016-14.
- Identify basic state and federal filing requirements of an exempt organization, recognize the core components of the annual information return Form 990, and identify when an NFP may be subject to unrelated business income tax.
- Recognize best practices in NFP board governance, risk assessment and internal controls
- Identify steps involved in planning a successful audit engagement and identify key auditing considerations and client communications.
Group ordering for your team
The Association is dedicated to removing barriers to the accountancy profession and ensuring that all accountancy professionals and other members of the public with an interest in the profession or joining the profession, including those with disabilities, have access to the profession and the Association's website, educational materials, products, and services. The Association is committed to making professional learning accessible to all. This commitment is maintained in accordance with applicable law. For additional information, please refer to the Association's Website Accessibility Policy. For accommodation requests, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the product that you are interested in (title, etc.) and the requested accommodation(s): Audio/Visual/Other. A member of our team will be in contact with you promptly to make sure we meet your needs appropriately.