How to Succeed as a First-Time Manager
As a first-time manager, develop the skills of effective delegation and motivation and avoid the trap of micromanagement.
NASBA Field of Study
Moving from an individual contributor to a first-time management role requires a major leap in your career. It's a completely different role. Your new job is to create the conditions for others to succeed, not to do the work yourself. As a manager, you must develop the skills of effective delegation and motivation and avoid the trap of micromanagement.
- All CPAs interested in moving into leadership positions , new business leaders, new finance and accounting managers
- The difference between building individual competence and organizational capacity
- Team development and coaching skills
- Delegation as a survival skill for you and development opportunity for team members
- The four common mistakes first-time managers make
- Identify the difference between the individual contributor and management roles
- Describe the skills needed to manage and lead the team
- Recognize the pitfalls of first-time managers and how to avoid them
Group ordering for your team
The Association is dedicated to removing barriers to the accountancy profession and ensuring that all accountancy professionals and other members of the public with an interest in the profession or joining the profession, including those with disabilities, have access to the profession and the Association's website, educational materials, products, and services.The Association is committed to making professional learning accessible to all product users. This commitment is maintained in accordance with applicable law. For additional information, please refer to the Association's Website Accessibility Policy. As part of this commitment, this product is closed-captioned. For additional accommodation requests please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the product that you are interested in (title, etc.) and the requested accommodation(s): Audio/Visual/Other. A member of our team will be in contact with you promptly to make sure we meet your needs appropriately.