Governmental and Employer Retirement Plans Process
In this four-part, 4-hour narrated PowerPoint video, moderator Tom Tillery will examine Governmental Plans, Qualified Retirement Plans, and Other Employer Retirement Plans.
NASBA Field of Study
Tom Tillery, Susan M. Tillery
This CPE course can be purchased individually or as part of the Retirement Planning Certificate Program.
The SECURE Act is the first major legislation to revamp retirement plans in over a decade. The provisions and planning strategies to help your clients avoid unintended tax consequences on their estate and retirement plans have been implemented into this learning program.
Are you ready to help your clients set realistic expectations and goals? In this narrated PowerPoint video, moderator Tom Tillery will examine Governmental Plans, Qualified Retirement Plans, and Other Employer Retirement Plans, including: Section 401(a) plans, Section 403(b) tax-sheltered annuity plans, and Section 457 deferred compensation plans.
In addition, the two types of qualified plans covered in this course are defined benefit plans and defined contribution plans, along with the three most common defined benefit plans (traditional defined benefit plan, a cash balance pension plan, and a 412(i) plan).
Finally, in Part Four, we cover IRAs, Keogh plans and other plans for the self-employed, SIMPLE plans, and non-qualified plans.
Note: This course has been updated for the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act ("Tax Reform").
Moderator, Tom Tillery Thomas Neal Tillery, CFP®, AEP®, CLU®, ChFC®, CRPC®, LUTCF is Vice President and Chief Compliance Officer of Paraklete® Financial, Inc. Paraklete® provides integrated fee-for-service financial planning without asset management or product sales.
Enhanced On-Demand Format
This on-demand format utilizes a slide deck format, enhanced with narration and interactive exercises that are designed to increase the level of engagement and hands-on application. Drag and drop exercises, case studies, and interactive diagrams are some examples of the interactive exercises that are used to supplement traditional instruction in this learning experience.
- Governmental Plans, including:
- Section 401(a) plans
- Section 403(b) tax-sheltered annuity plans
- Section 457 deferred compensation plans
- Qualified Retirement Plans, including:
- Defined benefit plans
- Defined contribution plans
- Other Retirement Plans, including:
- Traditional defined benefit plan
- Cash balance pension plans
- 412(i) plans
- Keogh plans
- Other plans for the self-employed
- SIMPLE plans
- Nonqualfied plans
- Identify the types of investments permitted in an IRC Section 403(b) retirement plan.
- Recognize differences between IRC Sections 457(b) and 457(f) nonqualified deferred compensation plans.
- Calculate a retirement benefit using the unit benefit formula.
- Identify features common to both traditional defined benefit plans and target benefit plans.
- Choose the most appropriate qualified plan based on facts and circumstances.
- Identify the types of Keogh plans.
- Recall the eligibility requirements for simplified employee pension (SEP) plans.
Group ordering for your team
The Association is dedicated to removing barriers to the accountancy profession and ensuring that all accountancy professionals and other members of the public with an interest in the profession or joining the profession, including those with disabilities, have access to the profession and the Association's website, educational materials, products, and services. The Association is committed to making professional learning accessible to all. This commitment is maintained in accordance with applicable law. For additional information, please refer to the Association's Website Accessibility Policy. For accommodation requests, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the product that you are interested in (title, etc.) and the requested accommodation(s): Audio/Visual/Other. A member of our team will be in contact with you promptly to make sure we meet your needs appropriately.