Covers several types of annuities, including traditional, private placement variable, private, and charitable annuities.
NASBA Field of Study
This CPE course can be purchased individually or as part of the Risk Management and Insurance Planning Certificate Program.
What is an annuity? The short answer is that it's a contract that provides a periodic payment for a fixed period or for the duration of one's life. Annuity contracts can be complex, from both design and income tax perspectives.
As the personal financial planner, you must be educated in the numerous applications and products available, and their tax consequences, to offer a reasoned opinion to clients regarding annuities in their overall financial plan.
In this audiovisual CPE course, Tom Tillery will cover several types of annuities, including traditional, private placement variable, private, and charitable annuities. Additionally, you will learn how an annuity contract may be structured, based on the following factors:
- Commencement of benefit payments—immediate or deferred
- Method of premium payment—single or periodic payment
- Number of lives insured by the contract—single or joint
- Payment type—fixed or variable payment
- Plan of payment—settlement options or distributions
- The risk management process
- Principles of risk management
- Identification of potential loss exposures
- Risk management techniques
- Professional environment
- Regulatory environment
- Carrier environment Compensation methods
- Types and features of annuities
- Rollovers, distributions, creditor protection
- Integrating annuities with tax and financial planning
- Taxation and income tax planning
- Integration with other areas of PFP
Group ordering for your team
The Association is dedicated to removing barriers to the accountancy profession and ensuring that all accountancy professionals and other members of the public with an interest in the profession or joining the profession, including those with disabilities, have access to the profession and the Association's website, educational materials, products, and services.The Association is committed to making professional learning accessible to all product users. This commitment is maintained in accordance with applicable law. For additional information, please refer to the Association's Website Accessibility Policy. As part of this commitment, this product is closed-captioned. For additional accommodation requests please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the product that you are interested in (title, etc.) and the requested accommodation(s): Audio/Visual/Other. A member of our team will be in contact with you promptly to make sure we meet your needs appropriately.