About the Personal Financial Planning Certificate Program
The SECURE Act is the first major legislation to revamp retirement plans in over a decade. The provisions and planning strategies to help your clients avoid unintended tax consequences on their estate and retirement plans have been implemented into this learning program.
The Personal Financial Planning Certificate Program is a series of certificates covering the core areas of personal financial planning (PFP), including retirement, estate, risk management and insurance, and investment planning, and how tax planning relates to each area. This certificate program is a combination of education and a certificate exam that gives you the opportunity to enhance your knowledge and demonstrate competence in that specific discipline.
This PFP certificate program offers three different options:
- Certificate: You can display your competence and understanding in one or more core areas with a digital badge awarded upon completion of each certificate exam, an online proctored exam taken from the convenience of your home or office. This certificate offers optional online education to provide a thorough comprehension of the material in preparation for the exam.
- Education: If CPE is your goal, you can purchase the education, without the certificate exam, and simply earn CPE credit for your CPA license, PFS credential, and/or CFP® credential. If you hold the PFS credential, there is no need to take the certificate exam because your PFS credential exam tests this material.
- Credential: If you are an active CPA who wants to obtain the PFS credential, the certificate program provides an alternative pathway for meeting the exam and education requirements. See aicpa.org/pfs for details.
The Retirement Planning Certificate Program
The Retirement Planning Certificate Program is an informative and engaging learning experience that will enhance your knowledge in retirement planning. Part of the Personal Financial Planning Certificate Program, this certificate program includes six dynamic courses covering critical steps in the retirement planning life cycle, including unique planning for aging and chronically ill clients.
This certificate includes the following courses:
- The Retirement Planning Process
- Governmental and Employer Retirement Plans
- Personal Retirement Investments, Income, and Expenses
- Analyzing Client Retirement Data
- Creating, Implementing, and Monitoring the Retirement Plan
- Elder and Special Needs Planning
CPA, PFS, and CFP Continuing Education
These courses meet the CPE requirements for the CPA license and PFS credential. In addition, it qualifies for CFP board CE credits. The AICPA will report CE credits to the CFP Board every two weeks on a rolling basis as courses are completed. To have your CE reported please complete the following steps as there is not an automated feed to the CFP Board: Send an email to CFPReporting@aicpa-cima.com with the following information: Name, CFP Number, Copy of Certificate of completion and number of CE hours requested to be reported.