Affordable Care Act (ACA) - Tax Resources for CPAs
We have compiled a variety of materials related to both the individual and employer mandate provisions of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). This page offers guidance, practice aids, external resources, and current news to help CPA tax practitioners with compliance, practice management, and ethical considerations surrounding ACA. Visit the Affordable Care Act: What’s Trending page on IRS.gov for trending topics.
Join the Tax Section today to gain access to these resources along with other benefits.
Potential changes to the ACA may be a component of tax reform; this page helps you keep up with what has been proposed or passed in Congress, and will be updated frequently with news, analysis, and resources.
This CPE course will help you better understand the impact of ACA so you can describe to your clients how health care and paying for coverage will change in the future.
Checklists, Practice Guides, and Templates
- Affordable Care Act Checklist: Concise resource to help practitioners comply with the rules.
- Affordable Care Act Due Diligence: Guide providing an understanding of practitioners' due diligence requirements and tips to make a clear effort to document compliance with the ACA.
- Important Health Care Reform Reporting Requirements: Quick reference guide from AICPA/Paychex that explains what employers need to know about Forms 1094-C and 1095-C.
- Tax Provisions in the Senate Health Care Bill, The Tax Adviser, June 2017
- Planning for a Jump in Health Insurance Cost When Employees Turn 26, CPA Insider, May 2017
- HRAs Are No Longer Prohibited Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, The Tax Adviser, March 2017
- Failure to Report Health Care Coverage Will Not Cause Tax Return Rejection, The Tax Adviser, Feb. 2017
- The ABCs of Form 1095, The Tax Adviser, Nov. 2016
Forms & Instructions
Employer Reporting and Responsibilities
- Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage, and Instructions
- Form 1095-B, Health Coverage (used by health insurance providers)
- Publication 5196, Affordable Care Act: Reporting Requirements for Applicable Large Employers
- Publication 5215, Affordable Care Act: Responsibilities for Health Coverage Providers
Individual Shared Responsibility Provision
Premium Tax Credit
- What Employers With Fewer Than 50 Employees Need to Know (irs.gov)
- If/Then Chart Explains How the Health Care Law Affects You (irs.gov)
- ACA Tax Provisions for Individuals, Families, and Employers (irs.gov)
- ACA Information Center for Tax Professionals (irs.gov)
- Sec. 7216 Questions and Answers Related to ACA (irs.gov)
- U.S. Department of Labor Employee Benefits Security Administration
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (multiple FAQs)
- ACA Quick Reference Guide (Drake Software)
- The Adviser's Guide to Health Care (2nd edition): A comprehensive resource and reference guide for professionals involved with health care practices.
- Health Care Reform Act: Critical Tax and Insurance Ramifications: Explains how health care and paying for it will change in the future and related planning opportunities.
- The CPA's Guide to Financing Retirement Health Care: Guide gives you the information you need to help your clients make health care decisions that will impact their retirement planning.
- AICPA's Heath Care Industry Conference, Nov. 8 - Nov. 10 (Denver, CO or virtual): Premier event for CPAs in the health care industry.
- AICPA National Tax Conference, Nov. 6 - Nov. 7 (Washington, D.C. or virtual): Brings leading tax practitioners and key government officials together to present differing and shared positions for a thoughtful review of potential scenarios, tax priorities, and a pulse check of the ever-changing tax landscape.