The complexities of the Internal Revenue Code, combined with the ever-changing client environment, makes assisting clients with tax compliance a constant challenge. Whether working with federal or state issues, domestic or foreign matters, or individual or business clients, every practitioner must ensure they are technically competent to serve their clients.
Tax preparation software cannot take the place of a knowledgeable tax practitioner. All practitioners can benefit from regular updates and practical tools. This page contains resources to help you effectively prepare tax returns and serve your clients.
Join the Tax Section today to gain access to these resources along with other benefits.
Checklists, organizers, and engagement letters for key practice areas, including individuals, partnerships, corporations, estates, trusts and gifts, and exempt organizations.
This tool assists tax practitioners in determining an S corporation’s individual shareholder’s basis for use in completing Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.
This practice guide presents the factors to consider when helping clients understand issues regarding a reasonable salary for key employees/shareholders.
Checklists, Practice Guides, and Templates
- Supporting Organization Practice Guide - This primer will help guide you through the tests for the different types of supporting organizations to ensure your clients are not at risk of jeopardizing their supporting organization status.
- Tax Return Due Dates - Tax Deadlines for Accountants: This page provides guidance and tools to help you comply with tax return due dates and maximize workflow productivity.
- Casualty Loss and Disaster Relief: Guidance page that assists practitioners in determining what a casualty loss is and how to calculate the amount of the loss; features our Casualty Loss Practice Guide.
- Tangible Property Regulations Guidance and Tools: Offers resources to help practitioners with compliance, practice management, and ethical considerations surrounding the repair regulations.
- International Taxation Resource Center: Checklists, practice guides, and other guidance to serve clients with their international tax needs.
Videos, Webcast Archives, and Other Media
- Disasters and Taxes: Understanding Tax Relief for Disaster Victims: In this webcast archive, learn about casualty losses, involuntary conversions, and other considerations for disaster victims. Download the slides.
- Tax Considerations for Sharing Economy Clients: In this video, Annette Nellen, Chair of the AICPA Tax Executive Committee, walks through issues encountered in the sharing economy.
- Best Practices to Calculate, Track, and Maintain Basis Worksheets for S Corporation Shareholders: Industry experts provided a practical discussion on S-election considerations, built-in-gains tax complexities, and how to effectively track basis. Download the slides.
- Emerging Issues in Tax-Exempt Entities: Expert speakers addressed the latest compliance issues for not-for-profit entities. Download the slides.
- Current Developments in Taxation of Individuals, The Tax Adviser, March 2017
- Current Developments in Partners and Partnerships, The Tax Adviser, Feb. 2017
- Current Developments in Employee Benefits and Compensation, The Tax Adviser, Dec. 2015
- Annual Tax Update: Individuals and Sole Proprietors: Learn about the latest tax legislation, court decisions, and IRS pronouncements.
- S Corporations: Key Issues, Compliance, and Tax Strategies: Learn how to speak effectively to new and current clients about how to make the S corporation business model work for them.
- Federal and State Filing Requirements: Not-for-Profit Tax Compliance: Provides an overview of the basic state and federal filing requirements for tax-exempt entities.
- Multistate Income Tax: Learn about multistate tax compliance and related planning opportunities.