In this episode, Paula McMillan, CPA/PFS gives an overview of the current environment that your clients are face as they approach retirement age, including the obstacles and your role as their CPA adviser in helping them overcome them. She answers the questions:
- What’s the one thing that matters most in retirement planning?
- What trends in the retirement and personal obstacles are your clients facing that prevent them from saving for retirement?
- What can you do to help your clients overcome the challenges they are facing?
Access the related resources from this podcast:
- Top seven mistakes when claiming Social Security benefits by Paula McMillan (The Tax Adviser)
- The Adviser’s Guide to Retirement and Elder Planning, a multi-part guide series including life transitions.
- Broadridge Advisor (free access to PFP/PFS members) includes extensive-content written by CPAs, attorneys and other experts on planning strategies, new relevant laws, etc. that are articulated in client terms.
- Retirement planning certificate, part of the PFP certificate program
Don’t miss the other episodes in this series:
- What is the national state of retirement
- Making conversations count: integrated financial planning
- Lessons from the 9th hole: what current retirees have to say
The episode is brought to you by the AICPA’s Personal Financial Planning Section, the premier provider of information, tools, advocacy and guidance for professionals who specialize in providing tax, estate, retirement, risk management and investment planning advice and by the CPA/PFS Credential program which allows CPAs to demonstrate competence and confidence in providing these services to their clients. Visit us online at www.aicpa.org/pfp to join our community and gain access to valuable member-only benefits.