AICPA Risk Assessment Resources
Identifying, assessing and responding to risks of material misstatement are at the core of every audit. However, a recent survey of peer reviewers found over half of 400 audits they reviewed were non-conforming because of non-compliance with the risk assessment standard. Follow the advice in this risk assessment infographic to avoid common missteps.
The resources below will help you perform more effective risk assessments, appropriately link your risk assessments to your audit procedures and comply with the standards.
This comprehensive template will help you identify, assess and document your planned response to risks of material misstatement and make your audit more effective and more efficient.
This tool will help you identify non-conformity with AU-C 315 and AU-C 330 during your firm’s internal inspection. The aid also provides guidance on how those findings should be addressed.
- Employee benefit plans
- Audit Advisory: Performing risk assessments in EBP audits - This advisory offers an update on recent AICPA Peer Review Board findings related to risk assessment, and can help you properly apply risk assessment standards in employee benefit plan audits.
- Common risks by industry
We’ve developed resources to help you identify risks when auditing defined contribution plans, defined benefit plans, health and welfare plans and ESOPs. More industry-specific guidance is under development and will be posted soon.
- Aid for identifying controls at smaller entities
You may think a smaller client has no controls, but that’s virtually never the case. Even the smallest entities have policies and procedures designed to prevent or detect and correct material misstatements. This aid will assist you in identifying controls at your smaller clients.
- 4 tips to identify audit client risks, AICPA Insights, November 2018
- Why assess audit risk? So you don’t get lost in the woods, AICPA Insights, August 2018
- Taking the risk out of risk assessment, Journal of Accountancy, August 2018
- Audit guide
The definitive source for guidance on applying the core principles of the risk-based audit methodology required for all financial statement audits.