Through the National Commission on Diversity and Inclusion, the AICPA has developed a comprehensive pipeline enhancement plan intended to contribute to the number of unrepresented students enrolling and graduating from accounting programs, earning CPA credentials, and successfully transitioning into the profession.
For a preliminary list of resources available for high school students, college students, educators, firm and state societies, and around the CPA exam, download the AICPA Accounting Education Pipeline Resources guide.
For College School Students
If you’re a college student with an interest in majoring in accounting and want to learn more about the profession and the CPA exam, check out the resources below:
In light of the postponement of this year’s in-person Accounting Scholars Leadership Workshop (ASLW) due to COVID-19, the AICPA’s Diversity & Inclusion team has introduced a student webinar series entitled, “Webinar Wednesdays” to maintain engagement with students who are interested in strengthening their professional skills and understanding of the limitless possibilities and benefits of a career in accounting. The webinars will take place every Wednesday beginning April 15, 2020 and run through June 17, 2020.
Upcoming Webinar Wednesdays
E2 Encouraging Engagement in the Accounting Profession
May 27 – 1:00pm ET: Find out about different ways to continue to be involved with the AICPA and other organizations in the accounting profession beyond college and CPA licensure. State society involvement, the AICPA Leadership Academy, and affinity group engagement will be highlighted. Register >
Managing Recruitment During COVID-19
June 3 – 1:00pm ET: Career coach, Darryl Ucheya, CPA, “the Shrewd CPA” and “career whisperer” for young professionals in accounting, will focus on what students should be doing during this time despite not being able to attend traditional career fairs and events. Register >
PBS Roadtrip Nation: “Making it Balance”
June 10 – 1:00pm ET: Career exploration filmmakers from PBS’s Roadtrip Nation sent young people interested in accounting and auditing on a three-week adventure to interview auditing professionals and discover what this career has to offer. "Making it Balance" proves a career is actually an ever-evolving journey; one that can move in any direction as you change and grow. Find out about the results of the trip in this webinar! Register >
Navigating Corporate Culture
June 17 – 1:00pm ET: AICPA Accounting Scholarship Leadership Workshop (ASLW) Alumni and Young Professional Jerome Fulton, Jr. CPA of Deloitte Consulting and Thechena Dezamour, EY, will highlight early career challenges with an emphasis how peer mentors have kept them grounded in their CPA pursuit while being in public accounting. Register >
Recordings of Past Webinars
- CPA Exam Update (April 8): Lori Kelly Jones, Lead Manager, Exam Content at AICPA, provided an overview of the CPA exam, explained resources AICPA offers regarding the exam, how COVID-19 impacts exam scheduling, and more.
- How to Incorporate Free Innovative Digital Content in Your Online Business Classes (April 15): Red Flag Mania is an simulation-based investigative experience created by Dr. Kelly Richmond Pope, PhD, CPA and Roni Jackson in partnership with DePaul University. Dr. Pope explained how Red Flag Mania is designed to help students solve complex business problems.
- CPA Exam Experiences: Personal Tips from Recently Licensed and Preparing Candidates (April 22): Shakor J. Jukes, CPA, MBA, Michael Kaufman Ortiz, and Sheneya Wilson, MBA, CPA discussed the CPA exam and offered their experiences in regards to studying and preparation.
- My Life as a CPA: Career Pathways (April 29): Adrienne Davis, CPA, Durran Dunn, CPA, and Jeremias Ramos, CPA, the stars of the Real CPAs 2.0 National Campaign, shared their career journeys.
- The Brand of You (May 6): What does it take to become the CEO of Me, Inc.? In the Brand of You webcast, Dr. Florence Holland shared how to cultivate your personal brand.
- Technology Etiquette in COVID-19 (May 13 – 1:00pm ET): Jonna Martin will share the secrets of technology etiquette. Jonna is President of AdvanceMe Associates, a business etiquette training and consulting firm. Join us for an interactive discussion covering insights and practical tips on the power of image, navigating email exchanges, social media etiquette and good networking practices online
Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Join the AICPA
Joining the AICPA as a Student Affiliate Member is free and gives you access to tools and resources that will help you make the most of your college years. And once you're a CPA, the AICPA will continue to support your journey with technical resources, training, networking opportunities and expert guidance. Register and Apply here: https://www.thiswaytocpa.com/join-aicpa/.
Follow the Real CPA Pipeline Campaign
We created a national awareness campaign called Real CPAs that features real CPAs from diverse backgrounds to share their journey. Each year features new “real” CPAs that debunk the typical stereotype of accounting professionals. Our 2020 Real CPAs can be found at the following links. Check out their story!
Apply to attend our Accounting Scholars Leadership Workshop
The AICPA Accounting Scholars Leadership Workshop is an annual invitational program for minority accounting students who plan to pursue the CPA designation. This event aims to strengthen students’ professional skills and understanding of the limitless possibilities and benefits of earning the CPA credential.
- PCPS George Willie Ethnically Diverse Student Scholarship & Internship
Are you an ethnically diverse student pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in an accounting or accounting-related major? Do you plan to pursue the CPA licensure? If you can answer yes to the above questions visit here. You will learn more about our Private Companies Practice Section (PCPS) scholarship and internship opportunity. Select firms will provide an internship during busy season and financial awards are made up to $20,000 towards tuition per student.
- AICPA Scholarships
- ThisWayToCPA Scholarship Search
Need help preparing for the CPA Exam?
Find information ranging from your state requirements to sample tests. Everything you need to know can be found here.