PLEASE NOTE: As of July 1, 2020, testing windows will be replaced by continuous testing, allowing candidates to take the Exam year-round, without restriction, other than waiting to receive scores from prior attempts of the same section or when there is a major change to the Exam.
The CPA Exam is offered four times per year in “testing windows.”
- Q1: January 1 - March 10
- Q2: April 1 - June 10*
- Q3: July 1 - September 10
- Q4: October 1 - December 10
*Please Note: In anticipation of the reopening of Prometric test centers in April, and in response to the COVID-19 situation, NASBA, AICPA and Prometric have made the decision to invoke an emergency testing period. We understand candidates are concerned about their testing options and, therefore, we are implementing this emergency testing period to provide additional testing opportunities. As part of this procedure, the 20Q2 testing window will be extended from June 10, 2020, to June 30, 2020.
Before you schedule an Exam for a specific testing window, you must apply for the Exam and receive a Notice to Schedule (NTS).
The tables below show the target dates for each testing window when NASBA will release scores to Boards of Accountancy. Some boards may require at least one day beyond the published target release date to process and release scores.
CPA Exam scoring is treated with a high level of importance, due diligence, and attention to accuracy. Your responses to questions go through multiple quality assurance reviews to ensure scoring accuracy. To learn more about scoring, read about the Exam scoring process. You can also find answers to common scoring questions in the Exam FAQs section.
Testing Window: January 1 - March 10 (20Q1)
Note: The following score release dates could change if test administration is impacted by the current COVID-19 situation.Thank you for your patience.
Testing Window: April 1 - June 10* (20Q2)
*The 20Q2 testing window will be extended from June 10, 2020, to June 30, 2020.
- All dates and times are based on the Eastern Standard Time (EST) zone.
- For most candidates, Prometric sends Exam data files to the AICPA within 24 hours after you complete testing.
- Exam data files received after the AICPA cutoff dates will result in subsequent scheduled target score release dates.
- If you take the BEC section, you might receive your score approximately one week following the target release date due to additional analysis that may be required for the written communication tasks.
**The Exam data files the AICPA receives after this date will be included in the final target score release date for the testing window.