You must have basic computer skills to take the Exam. You are expected to be familiar with the use of a mouse and keyboard, and with basic spreadsheet and word processing functions. You must also be able to use a four-function online calculator.
In order to respond to Exam questions, you may need to:
- select a response from available options by clicking on a radio button
- perform standard financial calculations, utilizing a spreadsheet (Microsoft® Excel as of April 2018) or four-function online calculator:
- type a memorandum or letter in the written communication tasks
- perform an authoritative literature search in the research portion of simulations
- copy and paste text using the standard shortcut keys
- use scrollbars
- re-size or move windows highlight excerpts in exhibits that you would like to refer back to
If you are sitting the Exam prior to April 2018, the Exam will use a spreadsheet application that is similar to Microsoft® Excel.
As of April 2018, you will have access to a version of Excel with certain functions unavailable. You will not be tested on your ability to use Excel. The program is available only as a tool to use during the Exam.
The Exam uses a word processing application that is similar but not identical to Word.
No. The Exam is available only in a computer-based format.