Trust, Estate and Gift Tax Advocacy
Covered here is information related to trust, estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer (GST) tax developments, including legislative and regulatory activity and AICPA comments suggesting improvements to the trust, estate, gift, and GST tax rules.
The Trust, Estate and Gift Technical Resource Panel continues to monitor these advocacy issues.
News and Developments
- Letter on DOMA additional guidance needed
- Letter to Congress on Estates to have Same Brackets Threshold as MFS for income tax and NIIT
- Letter to Congress on QTIP/QRT elections 9100 relief
- Letter on Mexican Land Trusts ruling
- AICPA recommendations on IRS business plan priorities.
- President's 2016 Budget proposal estate tax provisions
- AICPA 2014 and 2013 comments on estate tax provisionsts on Medicare surtax and trusts and estates and article on net investment income tax and trusts & estates
Same-Sex Married Couples Estate and Gift Tax Issues
AICPA continues to monitor, comment, and develop tools and information regarding the same-sex married couples and the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) estate and gift tax issues and guidance.
Estate Tax Legislation/Reform
AICPA continues to advocate to Congress for simplification of the estate, gift, and GST current rules.
Trust Investment Advisory Fees
AICPA continues to monitor and comment on the trust investment advisory fee rules, including on legislation and regulations.
AICPA continues to identify, monitor, and address various foreign trust reporting issues, including Forms 3520 and 3520A compliance.
AICPA comments on many issues regarding trust, estate, and gift tax, both legislative and regulatory. Available are all the current comments, as well as prior year comments.