S Corporations Advocacy
This page provides information on issues and AICPA comments made on proposed federal legislation, proposed uniformity initiatives of the Multistate Tax Commission and other organizations, with a primary focus on taxpayers in a multi-state environment.
The S Corporations Resource Panel continues to monitor these advocacy issues.
News and Developments
Below are recent developments in this area:
- News for Some 2011 DC Corporate filers - DC announces one month delay to 10/15 for DC Corporate Franchise Tax Combined Reports, Tax E-Alert, September 11, 2012
- State Taxation of Trusts: Credit for Taxes Paid to Other States, The Tax Adviser, September 1, 2012
- AICPA Supports Model Legislation for Independent State Tax Tribunals, Tax E-Alert, August 24, 2012
- AICPA Supports Mobile Workforce Legislation Introduced in the Senate, Tax E-Alert, August 24, 2012
Key Advocacy Issues
State Tax Tribunals
An emerging issue in the states is th adoption of state tax tribunals as a means to resolve state tax appeal controversies prior to litigation in a forum outside the dominion and control of the state tax authority.
Mobile Workforce Legislation
AICPA supports the Congressional effort to provide a uniform national standard of more than 30 days before income tax withholding and reporting is required in a non-resident state.
Sales and Use Tax Reporting
An evolving issue is proposed statutes similar to the Colorado statue regarding sales and use tax notice and reporting requirements. The AICPA has commented on the Multistate Tax Commission's proposed draft model statute on this.
- Colorado’s “Amazon” Law Requiring Out-of-state Retailers to Report Sales Held to be Unconstitutional, April 5, 2012
Comprehensive List of Advocacy Issues
AICPA comments on many issues regarding trust, estate, and gift tax, both legislative and regulatory. Available are all the current comments, as well as prior year comments.