When performing financial statement audits, financial statement reviews, and other attest services defined in the Statements on Standards for Attestation Engagements, it is critical to understand and maintain one's independence. AICPA publications provide information on recent developments and guidance to assist practitioners when performing these professional services, including
- current practice environment.
- AICPA independence developments (including recently issued and withdrawn guidance).
- compliance reminders regarding Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), Government Accountability Office (GAO), and Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation independence requirements.
- proposed independence requirements and outstanding projects of the Professional Ethics Executive Committee.
- management’s responsibilities when performing nonattest services
- member’s responsibility regarding request for records
- independence rules involving affiliates
- useful resources on independence requirements.
- a plain English digest of the AICPA independence rules.
The following products are available from the AICPA to help provide guidance and resources relating to independence and ethics.
AICPA Online Professional Library
When you subscribe to any one of the many subscription options on AICPA
Online Professional Library, you're not only getting access to the most
up-to-date guidance and tools, you are also linked to all of the
relevant and related literature, including the FASB and GASB libraries.
Many publications and libraries may be of value to those interested in guidance related to independence and ethics: