Content Specification Outline | Exam Prep Tools
Exam Content Specification Outline
The Content Specification Outline (CSO)
has been developed through various sources to provide an overview of the knowledge that business valuation practitioners should possess. It is the comprehensive body of knowledge that will be tested on the ABV Exam. There are three major topical areas that provide a framework for knowledge and skill tested on the ABV Exam:
- Qualitative and Quantitative analysis (25 to 30% of the exam content)
- Valuation Analysis (50 to 60% of the exam content)
- Related Topics (15 to 20% of the exam content)
It is important to note that you will most likely be better-prepared for the exam if you use the resources contained within the CSO and not just rely upon your individual experience. Go to ABV Exam Content Specification Outline References
to see those references provided by the AICPA. ABV Exam module “Approaches” will cover the Valuation Analysis section of the CSO (Section II), and ABV Exam module “Analysis & Related” will cover the Qualitative and Quantitative Analyses and Related Topics sections of the CSO (Section I & III).
Exam Preparation Tools
The key to passing the exam is a combination of using the body of knowledge referred to in the CSO, coupled with applying this body of knowledge by obtaining relevant work experience in business valuation. Accordingly, although it is not a strict requirement, it is our recommendation that you choose to sit for the exam only after you have completed the required six (6) business valuation engagements or 150 hours of business valuation related work.
To assist in exam preparation, the AICPA offers the following:
ABV Assessment Tool
Free for use as a preliminary means to identify candidates’ strengths and weaknesses of their familiarity with the BV body of knowledge. Take the assessment >>
The nationally recognized AICPA Business Valuation School is offered annually. Register for upcoming sessions.
ABV Exam Review Courses:
Upcoming Live Group Study Session:
- Self-study - Offered in text or online format, the self-study review course includes over 300 practice questions.
- Virtual Group Study - Industry-leading valuation experts teach this virtual group-study course. Participants can ask questions online during the live broadcast, plus rewind, review and reinforce topics for up to three months using the recording. This course comes with the self-study textbook and is offered.
- Live Group Study - The live group study course is taught by industry leading valuation experts. Participants can ask questions in-person. This course comes with the self-study textbook.
Candidate Study Plan
The AICPA’s FVS Section has developed a prescribed four-month study plan for its ABV and CFF exam candidates. Review the study plan >>
Back to Top
Back to ABV Overview >>