The AICPA Fellowship for Minority Doctoral Students ensures that CPAs of diverse backgrounds are visible in college and university classrooms. The program's goal is to increase the number of minority CPAs who serve as role models and mentors to young people in the academic environment and university classrooms. The AICPA Foundation awards annual fellowships of $12,000 to full-time minority accounting scholars who demonstrate significant potential to become accounting educators.
For the 2015-16 academic year, 22 accounting doctoral-level students were selected as recipients of this prestigious honor. View the 2015-16 AICPA Minority Doctoral Fellowship recipients.
Program Eligibility Requirements
Eligible applicants must meet the following requirements:
- a) Applied to a doctoral program and awaiting word on acceptance; b) been accepted into a doctoral program; or c) already matriculated in a doctoral program and pursuing appropriate coursework
- Earned a Master’s Degree and/or completed at least 3 years of full-time experience in the accounting practice
- Minority student of Black or African American; Hispanic or Latino; or Native American ethnicity
- Attend school on a full-time basis and plan to remain enrolled full-time until attaining doctoral degree
- Agree not to work full-time in a paid position or accept responsibility for teaching more than one course per semester as a teaching assistant, or dedicate more than one quarter of my time as a research assistant
- CPA or plan to pursue the CPA credential
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident (green card holder)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I apply for this program?
The 2016-2017 Doctoral Fellowship on-line application is available on ThisWayToCPA.com .
What materials are required to apply for this program?
- A completed application form
- An official academic transcript from each institution from which you have received a degree
- Confidential references from two individuals
- Visit ThisWayToCPA.com for more application requirements
When is the application deadline for the 2016-17 program?
The application period will open on March 1, 2016 and close on May 16, 2016. Applicants that have applied for the program will be notified of the selection committee's determination by June 20, 2016.
Am I eligible for the AICPA Minority Doctoral Fellowship if I am receiving additional funding for my studies?
Depending on the type of additional program funding you are receiving, you may or may not be eligible. If you are receiving a stipend from the university you are enrolled in, you are eligible for the AICPA Minority Doctoral Fellowship. If you have received a stipend from the Accounting Doctoral Scholarship (ADS) Program, you may not be eligible for the AICPA Minority Doctoral Fellowship award.
Where may I submit questions about the program?
You may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments or questions regarding the AICPA Minority Doctoral Fellowship.