|When performing financial statement audits, financial statement reviews, and other attest services defined in the Statements on Standards for Attestation Engagements, it is critical to understand and maintain one's independence in accordance with Rule 101, Independence. AICPA publications provide information on recent developments and guidance to assist practitioners when performing these professional services, including
- current practice environment.
- AICPA independence developments (including recently issued and withdrawn guidance).
- compliance reminders regarding Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), Government Accountability Office (GAO), and Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation independence requirements.
- proposed independence requirements and outstanding projects of the Professional Ethics Executive Committee.
- management’s responsibilities when performing nonattest services
- member’s responsibility regarding request for records
- independence rules involving affiliates
- useful resources on independence requirements.
- a plain English digest of the AICPA independence rules.