New CPE Self-Study Courses are Available!
The AICPA offers a variety of CPE educational opportunities on PFP-related topics. Some topics are advanced and very specific, while others will be less tailored and more broad-based. Our goal is to provide education options for both the less-experienced and more seasoned CPA. Whether you are preparing to become a CPA/PFS or you already have the credential, there are options available to meet your specific needs.
The AICPA offers a variety of venues to select from including:
- Foundation courses in personal financial planning AICPA is offering six of The American College financial planning courses as self-study CPE courses. They are an excellent resource for CPA/PFS credential candidates that need to cover specific areas in detail prior to taking the PFS exam or to brush up on a particular area of study. The basic self-study material includes the textbook and supplemental guide with the CPE material. You have the option to purchase CD audio review material and DVD video lectures to supplement the other learning tools (note that purchase of the CD or DVD set alone will not provide any CPE).
- PFS Exam Review Course: AICPA offers a self-study review course with 32.5 hours of CPE to help candidates prepare for the PFS exam.
Live and Online CPE Classes:
- PFS Exam Review Web Class Audio Recording: Purchase and download the complete audio archive with student workbook from the June 2013 review class (no CPE). PFP Section members qualify for a $100 discount. Qualify for a $400 PFS Exam Sponsorship with this option. Watch the PFP News for links to purchase this product.
- PFS Exam Review Class: The AICPA offers an intensive PFS Exam Review Class to prepare you for the PFS exam. Classes are held in the May/June and November time periods each year before the exam. Stay tuned for the 2014 class dates and locations.
Go to the CPA/PFS Credential Overview page
AICPA PFP Self-study Education Courses
Financial Planning: Process and Environment – 20.5 hours CPE - Order on CPA2Biz
#757200011, equivalent to The American College course HS300
- Provides an overview of the financial planning process, including communication techniques, ethics, risk tolerance, time-value-of-money concepts, financial planning applications, regulatory issues and the legal and economic environment for financial planning.
- Offers an understanding of the role and responsibilities of a financial planner, along with some analytical skills to aid in financial decision making.
Fundamentals of Income Taxation – 20 hours CPE - Order on CPA2Biz
#757300011, equivalent to The American College course HS321
- Examines the federal income tax system with particular reference to the taxation of individuals.
- Covers such concepts as gross income, exclusions from gross income, deductions, tax credits, capital gains and losses, taxation of life insurance and annuities and income taxation of partners, partnerships, corporations and shareholders.
Fundamentals of Estate Planning – 20 hours CPE - Order on CPA2Biz
#757100011, equivalent to The American College course HS330
- Covers various aspects of estate and gift tax planning, including the nature, valuation, transfer, administration and taxation of property.
- Provides a basic understanding of the estate and gift tax system, including strategies of estate planning.
- Discusses gratuitous transfers of property outright or with trusts, wills and powers of appointment; use of the marital deduction; valuation of assets; and buy-sell agreements.
- Covers the client interview, fact finding, ethical standards and development of personal estate plans.
Planning for Retirement Needs – 20 hours CPE - Order on CPA2Biz
#757600011, equivalent to The American College course HS326
- Focuses on selecting the right retirement plan for the business and on individual retirement planning.
- Covers qualified plans, SEPs, SIMPLEs and 403(b) plans and nonqualified deferred compensation plans.
- Emphasizes the practical knowledge needed for choosing the best retirement plan, especially for the small business, and designing a plan that will meet a client’s needs.
- Covers individual retirement planning including IRAs and Roth IRAs, Social Security benefits, saving for retirement and planning for retirement plan distributions.
Investments – 20 hours CPE - Order on CPA2Biz
#757500011, equivalent to The American College course HS328
- Covers various aspects of the principles of investments and their application to financial planning.
- Discusses risk analysis and risk and return computations.
- Looks at stocks, bonds, investment companies, options and futures contracts.
- Includes an extended discussion of tax issues in investing and issues in the practice of portfolio management, including strategic and tactical asset allocation.
- Provides many examples of ethical and practical issues in managing a client’s portfolio.
Fundamentals of Insurance Planning – 30.5 hours CPE - Order on CPA2Biz
#757400011, equivalent to The American College course HS311
- Focuses on the role of planning for insurance needs.
- Covers basic concepts in risk management and insurance, insurance industry operations, legal principles pertaining to this industry, and regulation of insurers.
- Examines social insurance, life insurance and annuities, medical and disability income insurance, long-term care insurance and personal property and liability insurance.
- Concludes with an overview of commercial property and liability insurance and a case study.