We work on your behalf to protect your professional interests in the legislative, regulatory and public policy arenas on issues that can affect you, your firm and, ultimately, your career.
By providing members of Congress and federal regulators with information, resources and recommendations, the AICPA represents the CPA profession while protecting the public interest, and promotes public awareness and confidence in the integrity and competence of CPAs.
Highlighted Areas Include:
Affordable Care Act
- We continue to analyze and provide recommendations on tax forms and guidance related to the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- We are identifying important questions and issues related to ACA and working with the IRS to develop Q&As. We are also educating Congressional staff and regulators on implementation challenges that we have identified from a CPA perspective.
Cash Basis Accounting
- We are leading opposition to Congressional efforts to limit the use of cash accounting for pass-through entities, personal service corporations, and individuals who exceed $10 million in annual gross receipts.
- We have partnered with state CPA societies and CPA firms to help secure the support of lawmakers from both parties in the House and Senate.
- We are leading the effort to gain interstate practice privileges outside CPAs’ principle state of business.
Mandatory Firm Rotation
- We successfully promoted legislation that would prohibit mandatory audit firm rotation.
- We continue to work with Congress and the IRS to move the agency forward so that it can provide more timely and modernized assistance to taxpayers and practitioners.
- We have worked for the passage of legislation that would create a uniform national standard for state tax withholding.
Patent Assertion Entities
- We have sought the enactment of legislation that would help curtail the activities of patent trolls. Learn more
- We continue to express our members’ concerns regarding the low $500 de minimis safe harbor threshold under the new “repair regulations” and the challenges faced with filing a Form 3115 for a change in accounting method. Learn more
Advocacy Quick Links:
We offer opportunities across several discipline areas to hone your leadership skills by volunteering on committees, technical resource panels and industry-leader task forces. Playing an active role in your professional community is a great way to support your fellow CPAs and the public interest.
Build your network and learn the latest techniques and guidance from regulators and experts. We offer more than 50 conferences (members save $300 on conferences) and workshops annually on accounting and auditing topics, practice management and in specific industry and consulting niches.
By volunteering on the AICPA governing Council and various boards, committees and panels, you can influence and guide the profession's direction and build your network. In addition, you may consider offering support and expertise in a particular interest area to our technical and conference committees and task forces. Visit the volunteer page to find your opportunity and apply.
- Financial Literacy — CPAs have joined forces to help improve Americans’ financial understanding through the 360 Degrees of Financial Literacy effort and Feed the Pig™, a national public service advertising campaign in partnership with The Ad Council. This is a great volunteer opportunity, and free resources are available to members who wish to participate.
Young CPA Network
Looking to build a strong nationwide peer network? Find career advice, tools to aid your success and professional development opportunities, as well as like-minded peers. The network supports best practices for your continued professional growth. To read The Edge e-newsletter, discover leadership opportunities and join our social media networks, visit the Young CPA Network.
Keep you and your staff on the cutting edge of the topics most important to you.
Personal Development and Learning
The AICPA is a leader in offering professional development, technical guidance and learning opportunities. Membership gives you access to more than 300 self-study courses, web events and virtual conferences — so you can enhance your knowledge anywhere, any time and any way you choose. Members can save $300 on AICPA conferences and take advantage of special discounts on continuing professional education (CPE).
- AICPA Learning – On-site training for firms provides affordable, effective sessions with expert instructors and easy-to-follow manuals. More than 200 programs covering everything from audit to tax are available.
- Center for Audit Quality Webcasts – Helps CAQ members stay abreast of the latest regulatory and standard-setting matters and to foster the performance of high quality audits by public company auditors.
- Continuing Professional Education – Meet your compliance and competency needs through AICPA’s vast offering of on-demand and self-study courses, webcasts, certification programs and much more.
- Meetings & Conferences – An extensive portfolio of more than 50 specialized events to help members meet their goals while building a strong professional network. Plus, you have the option of attending our conferences on-site or online.
The CPA profession offers unlimited possibilities for career growth and development. The AICPA has a variety of tools to help take you and your staff to the next level.
- Academic Development – We are providing educators with resources to enhance accounting and business curricula and prepare students to become CPAs.
- CPA Career Center — Recruiters, hiring managers and job-seekers have access to quality online tools.
- Diversity and Inclusion – This is focused on developing programs to attract, retain and advance the top diverse talent needed to manage the challenging and complex issues CPAs face in the profession today.
- Peer Review – It works to enhance the quality of accounting, auditing and attestations performed by AICPA members in private practice.
- Professional Ethics – Online information, tools and resources are available to help members meet their ethical responsibilities under the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct.
- Women’s Initiatives – They focus on the retention and advancement of women in accounting.
- Work-Life Balance – This offers products and services to help members integrate their personal and professional lives.
- Young CPA Network - The network provides tools, resources and information to help young CPAs obtain workplace expertise and build the professional relationships they need to succeed.
Career Development for Students
- This Way to CPA – For soon-to-be and newly minted CPAs, this website provides insights on the ins and outs of the accounting profession, offers great tools and gives you resources, including CPA Exam prep.
- Start Here, Go Places. – This high school student and teacher website is helping build awareness of the opportunities an accounting career offers, while providing teachers valuable resources to use in the classroom.
Member Discount Program
The AICPA provides discounts and offers to members on Insurance, Financial services, Technology, Travel, Business Services and more. Take advantage of the products and services you need and use every day in your professional life from brands you can trust such as Aon Insurance, Wells Fargo, Dell, Hertz, Mercedes-Benz, Hyatt and more.Learn more
Resources to keep you informed of key developments, new rules, hot topics and emerging trends in the CPA profession and in the ever-changing financial world.
- Ethics Hotline — It educates members and responds to inquiries about applying the code to specific practice areas.
- Technical Hotline — This is a non-authoritative resource for advice on accounting, auditing, attestation, SSARS standards and more.
- A&A Research Collection — For an online library of essential, authoritative information from AICPA Professional Standards to PCAOB Standards and Related Rules, visit our Essential A&A Research Collection. This subscription service offers a discount to AICPA members of more than $100.
- Business and Industry Resource Center — It serves CPAs and management accountants working within public and private companies.
- Center for Plain English Accounting — Practitioners often have questions about how technical literature is applicable in particular facts/circumstances. The CPEA’s straightforward and clear style of writing and speaking allows practitioners the opportunity to understand the applicability of this literature when they are preparing financial statements and/or when they are auditing, reviewing and compiling those financial statements.
- Employee Benefit Plan Audit Quality Center — The Employee Benefit Plan Audit Quality Center is a firm-based voluntary membership center designed to help CPAs meet the challenges of performing quality ERISA audits. Joining the center enables you to access premium levels of content on this site and provides you with many other benefits, such as periodic newsletters and center webcasts.
- Financial Reporting Center — The center provides CPAs and management accountants with resources for the entire financial reporting process — the information you need to know, when you need it.
- Governmental Audit Quality Center — The Governmental Audit Quality Center (GAQC) promotes the importance of quality governmental audits and the value of such audits to purchasers of governmental audit services. GAQC is a voluntary membership center for CPA firms and state audit organizations that perform governmental audits.
- IFRS.com — Developed by the AICPA in partnership with its marketing and technology subsidiary CPA.com, IFRS.com provides resources for accounting professionals, auditors, financial managers and other users of financial statements.
- Research — Access standards, AICPA white papers and briefs and information on hot topics in this area of aicpa.org. Get the latest news on enhanced business reporting, private company financial reporting, Sarbanes-Oxley, XBRL and more.
Get instant access to a library of information that will keep you on top of the latest news and developments in the accounting profession.
Magazines and Newsletters
- Journal of Accountancy – Founded in 1905, the AICPA’s flagship monthly magazine is included in your annual membership and covers accounting news, legal decisions, accounting literature and much more.
- The Tax Adviser – Available for members of the Tax Section, the Tax Adviser is the magazine of planning, trends, and techniques — reporting and explaining federal tax issues to tax practitioners. It’s also available to others for a fee.
- E-Newsletters — We offer a variety of newsletters and specialized publications on a wide range of topics and areas of interest to the profession. Members can read the latest news here or visit the AICPA’s Communications Preferences to sign up for these newsletters via email.
- CPA Letter Daily — This free, daily e-newsletter provides CPAs and other financial professionals the day’s top business, financial and accounting headlines
- News Update — This weekly email provides updates on AICPA efforts and other news, resources and tools of interest to CPAs.
- CPA Client Bulletin Select — A new monthly content service, this allows you to select and leverage the content you need through the marketing channels of your choice. Each month, you will receive a collection of timely articles on such topics as tax saving, financial planning and small business advice.
- CPA Client Tax Letter — This quarterly look at tax saving and tax planning tips and techniques serves as a good practice-building tool, during tax season and all year long.
- CPA Marketing Toolkit — These free, professionally designed resources (available online) provide public accounting members with ads, brochures, speeches, marketing guidance and more to help them with their client retention and acquisition efforts, promote their CPA credential and be recognized as a trusted adviser is their community.
Guides and Alerts
- AICPA Online Professional Library – This powerful subscription-based monthly online research tool gives you access to the most comprehensive, up-to-date accounting and auditing information available anywhere — all linked and cross-referenced for easy information retrieval. Members receive a discount of more than $230.
- AICPA Accounting & Auditing Publications
- Audit Committee E-Alerts – They provide up-to-the-minute information of special interest to audit committees.
- CAQ Alerts – These alerts inform members about regulatory developments and other matters affecting the public company auditing profession.
- CAQ Publications – Information from these publications assist members in performing high-quality public company audits.
- The Uniform CPA Examination Alert Newsletter — This print and e-mail publication updates CPAs, CPA Exam candidates, boards of accountancy and review course providers about the CPA Exam.