When it comes to running and managing a successful tax practice or tax department, you need the right tools and resources. CPA tax practitioners have unique and distinct needs – we understand them and have the resources to help you succeed! This page offers guidance, practice aids, tools, and educational resources specifically designed to help CPA tax practitioners better understand and deal with the day-to-day issues they face running a business that delivers tax services.
Tax practice management topics include operating procedures (e.g., tax service delivery workflow), quality control procedures (e.g., technical review, compliance with tax practice standards), client communication strategies, managing technology (e.g., client portals and digital signatures), and billing practices. Tax practitioners also have unique staffing challenges, such as hiring for busy season, leveraging tax staff year-round, and retaining staff with the right mix of technical competency and business acumen to assure continued growth.
More generalized firm practice management guidance in areas such as firm-wide operations, peer review and accounting and auditing issues, succession planning, and more is available in the Firm Practice Managements – PCPS interest area. The AICPA’s PFP Practice Center offers specialized resources for adding or expanding into personal financial planning and wealth management services. The AICPA’s Information Management and Technology Assurance interest area offers more substantial resources related to information assurance, internal controls, business process improvement, data analytics, and enhanced business reporting. We encourage you to learn more about all of the AICPA interest areas for more specialized guidance and resources related to managing all aspects of firm operations, management, and technical service delivery.
|Featured Tools & Resources
We are constantly in the process of developing new or updated existing resources. Below are some of our highlighted resources.
Keep in mind you can browse the entire library of content related to IRS Practice & Administration by using the predefined search filters on the left. Clicking on these filters will result in a list of search results based on the filter(s) you choose. You can even apply multiple filters to narrow your search! You can filter “By Topics” to see a list of resources and documents related to particular topic or filter “By Document Type” to find a particular type of resource regardless of topic.
- Tax Power Hour Resources: Dedicated webpage that provides a link to register for the next Tax Practice Monthly webcast along with additional exclusive Tax Section member-only companion resources
- Staying in Touch - A Year of Client Communications : Client communications resource for tax practitioners to reference or use to highlight and promote their firm during the year.
- Client Portals - Transforming How CPA Firms Operate: Whitepaper on the benefits of using client portals in a tax practice, including strategies to minimize obstacles to adoption.
- Managing Extensions: Dedicated webpage to includes a list of key considerations when developing an extension management process, as well as tools and resources to help you get started.
- Moving up the Value Chain: Best Practices for Taking Your Firm to the Next Level: Managing your business effectively should be your first strategic priority. This CPE course discusses ten foundational pillars of high-performing firms. It also provides sixteen best practices for serving your existing clients.
- Managing Your Tax Season: Reduce stress and make the most of your staff's time and skills with this hands-on guide to improving your tax season. Filled with checklists, sample letters, and worksheets to help keep your clients happy while effectively managing workflow during the busiest time of your year.
- The Engaged Employee: Recruiting and retaining top-notch employees in today's environment can be challenging. In this guide, learn 10 key initiatives that your firm can employ to foster engagement and increase employee retention.
- 2015 Digital CPA Conference, Dec 7-9, Las Vegas, NV:
This must-attend conference combines cloud and mobile technology with practice development strategies and hands-on user training to arm you with the tools you need to evolve your Client Accounting Services practice, including how to price, market and staff your new cloud accounting services.
This symbol identifies tools and resources available exclusively for Tax Section members. When accessing premium member-only content within the Tax Resource Library, you will be prompted to enter your user ID and password to validate your Tax Section membership. Not a member? Learn more about these premium resources along with the many other benefits of membership in the AICPA Tax Section.