One tool to improve the consistency of quality is an increased focus by firms and peer reviewers on new industries, industries with new or rising risks, audit areas of increased risk or areas with increased inspection matters in the past.
The AICPA Peer Review Board (PRB) approved the below areas of focus:
- Independence as it relates to non-attest services provided to attest clients
- Sufficiency of audit evidence - risk assessment, internal controls, and sampling
- Employee benefit plans, including both ERISA and government pensions
- Municipal security issuers
- Single audit
- Crowdfunding and Other Small Business Capital-Raising (Regulation A+)
Read more about the emerging industries and risk areas and find resources for each.
To learn more about the Peer Review Focus Areas: Listen to the archived webcast: Surviving the Deep Dive - A Closer Look at the Peer Review Focus Areas.