AICPA Revenue Recognition Task Forces are charged with developing revenue recognition implementation issues that will provide helpful hints and illustrative examples for how to apply the new Revenue Recognition Standard.
Task Force Members:
- Michael Fehrman, Deutsche Bank AG (Chair)
- Jeffrey Alfano, Oppenheimer & Co. Inc.
- Kobi Assaraf, Citigroup Inc.
- Joseph Cascio, Ernst & Young LLP
- Kristin Derington-Ruiz, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Chris Donovan, Deloitte LLP
- Craig Goodman, Rosen Seymour Shapss Martin & Company LLP
- Chris Johnson, Crowe Horwath LLP
- Lisa Koehl, JPMorgan Chase
- Prashant Nisar, Grant Thornton LLP
- Jason Roos, Wells Fargo
- Karl Ruhry, KPMG LLP
- Jonathan Schubach, Jeffries LLC
- David Shelton, Morgan Stanley
- Tracy Whetstone, McGladrey LLP
Staff Contact: Ivory Bare, firstname.lastname@example.org
IDENTIFIED REVENUE RECOGNITION IMPLEMENTATION ISSUES
Below is a list of potential revenue recognition implementation issues identified by the Brokers and Dealers in Securities Revenue Recognition Task Force. The list will be updated as the task force continues it discussions. Full revenue recognition implementation issues will be posted below for informal comments after review by the AICPA Financial Reporting Executive Committee (FinREC).
||Description of Implementation Issue
||Commission Income. This implementation issue discusses considerations for broker-dealers in applying the guidance in ASC 606 to trade-based commission income earned by providing trade facilitation, execution, clearance and settlement, custody, and trade administration services to its customers.
||Selling and distribution fees
||Principal vs. Agent: Costs associated with underwriting and advisory services—expense vs. contra revenue
||Underwriting and related fee income
||Advisory fee income
||Soft dollar revenues
||Revenue from financial instruments out of scope
Draft Revenue Recognition Implementation Issues included for informal comment, when available, will be listed below.
Respondents should submit any comments including the implementation issue number to email@example.com by the dates noted below:
The Brokers and Dealers in Securities Revenue Recognition Task Force and the Stockbrokerage and Investment Banking Expert Panel
recommend the following AICPA products for current revenue recognition issues: