It is not enough to complete a client’s tax return once the tax year is over. Successful tax practitioners are looking for opportunities to be more proactive with their client’s tax situation throughout the year. Changes to the tax law do not fit timely within a specified time frame each year. Expired provision are being extended months into a new year with retroactive status, in addition to the issuance of new regulations and court findings which may substantially affect the treatment of certain tax positions. This requires staying on top of these recent developments, determining how your clients may be affected, and creating strategies to assist clients with minimizing taxes whenever possible.
This page contains a variety of resources to gain additional knowledge, increase practice efficiency, and communicate with clients. Visit often to increase your value to your clients.
Browse our complete library of tax planning resources using the predefined search filters on the left. Clicking on these filters will result in a list of resources based on your choice. “By Topics” will result in a list of different types of resources and documents related to that topic. “By Document Type” will result in a list of resources of a particular type (e.g., checklist, sample letter, or engagement letter) regardless of topic. You can apply multiple filters to narrow your search. For example, if you select a topic (e.g., Divorce), and then select a document type (e.g., checklist), the results list will include a link to our Divorce Issues Checklist.
We are constantly in the process of developing new or updated existing resources. Some newly released resources include:
- Sample Client Letter - Tax Impact of DOMA Ruling : Provides sample language to send your clients regarding the impact of the ruling in the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). The letter contains an overview of the decision and what it may mean for your clients, including considerations with respect to estate, retirement, income tax, and health and welfare benefits plans; and any actions to consider.
- Income Tax Treaties Checklist : Will assist you in identifying issues with respect to income tax treaties that could apply to a US resident when he/she engages in commercial transactions in foreign jurisdictions, or to a foreign resident that engages in commercial transactions within the US.
- Postmortem Planning Checklist for S Corporation Shareholders: Access a postmortem planning checklist for S corporation shareholders to assist with planning for and preparation of tax returns.
- Year-End Financial and Tax Planning Strategies to Address ATRA, Net Investment Income Tax, and More, Nov. 10: In this webcast, you will learn: The impact of these changes to your clients and their estates, taxes, and financial plans, Addressing the complexities of ATRA and NIIT with clients, What opportunities to look for when reviewing clients’ retirement plans, Tax savings strategies for an efficient investment portfolio, Actionable strategies to use with your individual clients before December 31.
- Essential Post-Mortem Planning Decisions, Nov. 5: This program will discuss planning as it affects the decedent's final income tax return, as well as elections to make in connection with a fiduciary income tax return and the estate tax return of the decedent.