When it comes to running and managing a successful tax practice or tax department, you need the right tools and resources. CPA tax practitioners have unique and distinct needs – we understand them and have the resources to help you succeed! This page offers guidance, practice aids, tools, and educational resources specifically designed to help CPA tax practitioners better understand and deal with the day-to-day issues they face running a business that delivers tax services.
Tax practice management topics include operating procedures (e.g., tax service delivery workflow), quality control procedures (e.g., technical review, compliance with tax practice standards), client communication strategies, managing technology (e.g., client portals and digital signatures), and billing practices. Tax practitioners also have unique staffing challenges, such as hiring for busy season, leveraging tax staff year-round, and retaining staff with the right mix of technical competency and business acumen to assure continued growth.
|Featured Tools & Resources
We are constantly in the process of developing new or updated existing resources. Below are some of our highlighted resources. Keep in mind you can browse the entire library of content related to Practice Management by using the predefined search filters on the left. Clicking on these filters will result in a list of search results based on the filter(s) you choose. You can even apply multiple filters to narrow your search! You can filter “By Topics” to see a list of resources and documents related to particular topic or filter “By Document Type” to find a particular type of resource regardless of topic.
- New! Tax Research Information and Tools: Dedicated resource page that helps members understand the hierarchy of taxing authorities, effectively perform and document client research, and communicate findings to clients and other stakeholders.
- New! 1040 Tax Return Status: National Average Update: 1040 tax returns status reports dashboard that provides year over year comparison of key data points - March, April, and May
- Client Termination Letter and Checklist: The client termination checklist is to be used to help guide practitioners through the process of removing clients from their database, archived files, and client communications. This checklist should be used in conjunction with the sample client termination letter.
- Tax Power Hour Resources: Dedicated webpage that provides a link to register for the next Tax Practice Monthly webcast along with additional exclusive Tax Section member-only companion resources
- Staying in Touch - A Year of Client Communications: Client communications resource for tax practitioners to reference or use to highlight and promote their firm during the year.
- Tax Season Business Development, The Tax Adviser, March 2016
- Getting to the Finish Line, Tax Section News, Feb. 2016
- What firms must do to better develop their people, CPA Insider, Feb. 2016
- Getting Out of Your Tax Season Comfort Zone, Tax Section News, Jan. 2016
- Retiring the billable hour as a measure of performance, The Tax Adviser, Jan. 2016
- Training Seasonal Staff, The Tax Adviser, Dec. 2015
- 10 Pre-season Tax Tips Not On Your List, Tax Section News, Dec. 2015
- Moving up the Value Chain: Best Practices for Taking Your Firm to the Next Level: Managing your business effectively should be your first strategic priority. This CPE course discusses ten foundational pillars of high-performing firms. It also provides sixteen best practices for serving your existing clients.
- Managing Your Tax Season: Reduce stress and make the most of your staff's time and skills with this hands-on guide to improving your tax season. Filled with checklists, sample letters, and worksheets to help keep your clients happy while effectively managing workflow during the busiest time of your year. Tax Section members save 20%.
- The Engaged Employee: Recruiting and retaining top-notch employees in today's environment can be challenging. In this guide, learn 10 key initiatives that your firm can employ to foster engagement and increase employee retention.
- AICPA Practitioners Symposium and Tech+ Conference, Jun 5, 2016 - Jun 8, 2016 - Las Vegas, NV: The AICPA Practitioners Symposium and TECH+ Conference - Define a clear path for the future by learning the latest insight, tools and technological information to keep you and your practice on the cutting edge. Featuring the latest in practice management, emerging technologies, mobile and cloud-based solutions essential to boost immediate profits but to also create new opportunities moving forward.
- Roadmap for Profitably Moving your Client Accounting Services Practice to the Cloud, June 14-15, Chicago, IL: This two-day, 12-CPE-credit, interactive workshop will prepare public accounting firms to successfully move their client accounting practice to the cloud. Learn from leading experts who will share their knowledge and expertise of the cloud gained through years of personal experience. You will walk away with solutions you can apply immediately to meet your company's strategic objectives now and in the future.
- AICPA Emerging Partner Training Forum, June 21-22, Durham, NC: This program provides two days of intensive learning about the responsibilities and expectations of senior firm leaders. With two separate offerings this summer, one in Durham, NC, and one in New York, NY- the program will focus on motivating and compensating leadership, building your business through growth and retention factors, improving partnership skills and networking opportunities.
This symbol identifies tools and resources available exclusively for Tax Section members. When accessing premium member-only content within the Tax Resource Library, you will be prompted to enter your user ID and password to validate your Tax Section membership. Not a member? Learn more about these premium resources along with the many other benefits of membership in the AICPA Tax Section.